1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by enggass, May 2, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I have a Broody 12 month old hatchery RIR. No Roos in my flock so no fertile eggs. What do I do with her? Will this pass? What should I do in the meantime?
    Thanks.

2. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I am one of those people that thinks everything should be given a chance at motherhood if possible. I notice from your signature that you are hatching eggs. Would it be possible to get 5 fertile eggs from someone close by.. let her hatch them out and sell if you want to. Nothing like seeing a hen with new chicks.. I am thrilled that one of my Buff Orpingtons is acting broody (just my second one in a year of owning chickens) and I find myself scrambling to find eggs to put under her.. especially since I am a hatching maniac in incubators..lol.. nothing beats nature.

Shelly

3. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks. I need to change my signature... No more eggs to be hatched. My question refers to a hen that will not have access to fertile eggs. Thoughts? How long will it last?

4. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    My broody silkie would sit forever if I let her. I would go out everyday and put her on the ground so she would eat and drink. I think the longest she lasted was 2 weeks. I also took her eggs away 2x daily. This year I finally gave in and she hatched 8 out of 8 eggs that I got from a famer nearby. I am telling you it is the cutest thing I have ever seen:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Well if you leave her on the nest, I've heard of broodys going for months. But if you want to nip it in the bud stick her in a wire cage with a fan under it. Hormoines tell her to set on the eggs. Her body heat gets trapped under her and she heats up. If you cool her down she will discontinue her broodyness.

6. Snegurochka

Snegurochka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've always used a wire cage as well, but I have an Australorp that will brood for months if I let her, and often she'll become broody again soon after leaving the cage. If it comes to that you can also try sticking ice cubes under her. It's mean, but effective.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by