What to do with cgockrn

damnfox

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 19, 2014
I got three day old chicks in late August and they just started laying this week. i got home from work today and one of them was hiding on my back porch. I walked into the garden and I found two big piles of feathers and no carcasses. Will the lone survivor be ok by herself until I get more 16 week olds in February? Btw, I usually have them locked in the coop everyday til I get home from work.

I'm so sorry about your loss!!
hugs.gif

You need to get new chicks as soon as possible. Chickens are social creatures and necessitate company of other chickens. Make sure that in the meantime, you spend a lot of time of her.

When you get the new birds and after they have been quarantined, just put her in at night.

Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif

What time in February? She might be ok, but it will be hard on her. How cold does it get during the winter for you? You may want to try to find another hen to keep her company over winter. You may be able to find one on craigslist. So sorry for you losses
hit.gif
Losing chickens is hard.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about the loss of your two chicks to a predator. It's always sad to lose some of our flock. X2 on Mountain Peeps advice in getting some more chicks to go with the sole survivor. Chickens are gregarious animals and like company. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your remaining chick and in getting some more.

Thanks for all the welcomes and great advice! Good news! When we got home from dinner tonight, one of the hens returned from wherever she was hiding. She actually layed an egg in my basement window well! Ha. What a nice surprise to come home to. The two remaining hens are reunited and locked in the coop for the night. No more open coop when I'm not home!!
Thanks again peeps.
1f425.png
1f425.png

Back
Top Bottom