What to do with Chicks eyes??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teutschb, Feb 15, 2012.

1. teutschb

teutschb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    Alliance, OH
    Can someone please give me some advice?? I have had three chicks seperated from the others after I found them with closed, swollen eyes. I started treating with eye wash and neosporin on their eyes. The one chicks eye was so sore, it had a little bit of blood in the eye. Now, two have improved, but one has it in both eyes. The eyes are swollen and it seems to be retracted back in a little bit. I noticed they seem to scratch at them, but wasn't sure if it itched or because it hurts. Any Idea what this could be. They were in with about 15 other chicks and all but one of them seems to be fine. I found one today, that had to be seperated out. Any insite would be great. I'm stumped. They are about four months old and are all my eggs I have hatched. I hope this isn't something contagous. Please Help Thank YOU!!

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Hmmmm..well, I did see something posted here either yesterday or the day before about NOT using neosporin on eyes. I'll poke around and see if I can find it again. It sounds like an infection, or an irritant. My GUESS would be a contageous infection. Do a search and I'll see if I can find what I was talking about.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by