What to do with cracked eggs before incubation?

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
I have a small quanity of coturnix quail eggs that have small cracks in them,Nothing leaking out. Is there anything that i can do to help these eggs into the incubator? I have heard before parrafin wax but will this endanger the egg or any other eggs in my incu? Thank you

fingernail polish, Does that work pretty good? in your opinion? thank you for the tip

As long as the inner membrane is not broken, you can seal up the crack. Even scotch tape will work well. Just make sure the crack is completely covered. If the crack is anywhere near the zipping area of the egg, you will need to remove it when you see the zip happening.

I have cracked eggs in the incubator right now and the ones that were fertile are developing well. I sealed them with candle wax. I took a votive candle that was in the glass holder and let it burn for a little while until there was plenty of melted wax. I took a q-tip and dipped it in the melted wax, then quickly 'painted' over the crack on the egg. Work fast, it cools really fast. If you have any extra globs, very GENTLY scrape it off just before lockdown. If your painted on wax isn't near the pipping area then I wouldn't worry about it. Hope this helps! I have a couple pics in my profile of a wax sealed egg and candling pics at day 3 and 5 of a couple cracked ones.

Back
Top Bottom