What to do with ducks with an impending hurricane?

Pics

Lover duck duck

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
Ok so I’m located in central Florida and Hurricane Dorian is on track here. I have (10) 1 year old ducks. They have a 900 square foot predator proof pen and they also have an 8 x 8 duck house which was built using 4 x 4 post cemented into the ground. My question is: Should I keep them inside the duck house or should I leave them out in the pen? Also if Dorian hits at night they always get locked up at night. So I don’t know what to do. Please advise. Also if I need to make accommodations inside my house I will.

Ok so I’m located in central Florida and Hurricane Dorian is on track here. I have (10) 1 year old ducks. They have a 900 square foot predator proof pen and they also have an 8 x 8 duck house which was built using 4 x 4 post cemented into the ground. My question is: Should I keep them inside the duck house or should I leave them out in the pen? Also if Dorian hits at night they always get locked up at night. So I don’t know what to do. Please advise. Also if I need to make accommodations inside my house I will.
Depends on how much you want them to survive.
If it were me I'd cage up the garage or something. Who knows what could happen to them in their duck house.

So sorry to hear that you’re being impacted by the hurricane. I agree with the comments above: even the sturdiest coop is an unlikely match for hurricane winds and downed trees. If you can put them in your garage or even inside until the worst has passed, that would be your best bet for their safety.

Sending prayers that you and your flock remain safe!

How high above sea level are you folks and is this your first hurricane in this house- the flooding is something to seriously consider- and are you sheltering in place? Be sure to secure animal food too cuz that may be a pain to be without. I wish you luck. It looks like it may go down to a cat 1 for you folks. Still darn serious but could be worse. Thoughts and prayers- :fl Let us know how you do when you can.

I am also worried about this hurricane coming I'm in central Florida as well. I wanted to ask about the muscovys that we have out here that arent anyone's actual pets. Do you think they are going to be ok out here. My neighborhood has so many out here and our neighborhood floods which they will love that but I'm so worried for them. I have my own muscovys that are my pets so they will be put up for the storm but I'm so worried about the others they are my feathery friends I try to take care of them as much as I can as well but we have a lot of ducklings around here that just hatched and I'm afraid they are gonna drown or something happen. Any advice please

@Ducklover77 your heart is so sweet to care about these Muscovy. I doubt there is much you can do unless you have somewhere you can put all these ducks and their ducklings. Hopefully most will ride the storm out. They are pretty good at survival. They’ve been around a long time. :hugs

If you are a homeowner, then you most likely know if your property is in a flood zone. Essentially Florida, the State, is a flood zone generally speaking. Zone X is the best, if that's where you property lies.
Here is the FEMA site to check address:
https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search#searchresultsanchor

My opinion for any animal is get them inside and safely sheltered, if even the garage, but elevated.
Have plenty of water for everyone, human and animal. Can fill the bathtub.
If chicks can be caged in a small kennel, bring in inside the house and also a little prior to real storm entering the area, heat up some hot water bottles, wrap in bath towel and throw into a cooler just in case as the warmth will dissipate, but over a few hours and then can use it necessary for electric free heat for the babies.

Having lived through a few hurricanes myself I'd keep them up at the house somehow. I know 10 ducks is a lot but they will be so scared with that wind noise going on forever. I was in Destin though Ivan and I thought it would never stop! A big difference between hurricanes and tornados. Ones quick and one isn't!

I know they don't know where that storm is going to hit, they never really do but I'd start getting a plan together right now while you still have time. Don't wait until the last minute. Start filling up jugs of water so you can at least flush the toilet and if you know it's coming your way definitely fill every bathtub in your house and make sure the plug isn't leaking (been there done that!). You are going to need lots of water and who knows how long you may be without! Be sure to bring the duck's food up to the house too so it stays dry. Perhaps you can get one of those portable dog fences to corral them into one area of the garage so they don't tear up and poop on everything. Once the storm passes you can access the damage and let the ducks out again hopefully to their pen and run.

Hopefully it will go through quickly and you can get back to normal. I don't miss those hurricanes at all! Wish the best for you.

Back
Top Bottom