What to do with eggs from a hidden nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RBOutdoors, Mar 5, 2012.

1. RBOutdoors

RBOutdoors Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Just found 2 dozen eggs in a hidden nest. What should I do with eggs? Can I boil them and feed them back or just use them for toppings on dog food??

Thanks

2. RBOutdoors

RBOutdoors Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    They are from two birds so some are pretty old.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    You can test them with a bucket of water. If the egg sinks, it's fresh. If it floats, it's bad. if it's somewhere in the middle, it's kind of iffy.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would feed them to the chickens or the dog. Usually if I find a hidden nest, the eggs are all dirty and yucky, so I don't bother trying to wash them or anything. If you do the float test, do it right before you intend to use the eggs so you don't allow any bacteria to penetrate the eggshell.

5. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

I found fourteen in a nest on the floor of the coop just inside the door where I never look.

I cracked them -- *outside* -- into a small bowl, then if it was okay, dumped it into a big bowl. It had been quite cool and they were at most two weeks old, so I figured they would be fine, and they were.

The whole mess, shells and all, got scrambled up and fed back to the hens.

-Wendy

6. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I fed all of my 90 ( yes 90) to my hens. I had no idea how old they were. They looked fine when I cracked them but I didn't want to take the chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by