What to do with excess chicks from hatching?

greenmulberry

Songster
14 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Iowa
So, I am wondering what you all do with the chicks you hatch. Obviously many/most join your flocks!

But surely, given how often I see some members running full 'bators, there are many many extra roosters, not to mention you end up with more of one variety than you want.

I suppose some people have enough land, but most wouldn't.

So what do you do with the extra chickens, especially roosters? I am not judging anyone, just want to know what I should be planning for. I want to get an incubator to hatch out some chicks, but about 25 hens is probably my max number I can keep with my space. I have 6 hens now.

So I was thinking what I would probably do, is when I see hatching eggs for sale for a breed I really want, is I would get some and hatch them out, keep a few pullets (if I get a good hatch!) and rehome (eat?) the rest.

Quote:
You answered your own question.
Thats what we do with them.
smile.png

Many people process the one they don't want, every area has freecycle I have gotton rid of bantam roos that way,
I also give chickens for Birthday presents!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a very wide range of chicken people on BYC.
LUV this group.
I am mostly involved with Silkies as pets and for showing.
At first I did Hatch a lot but now I have cut back and I only do selective hatching at this point. I pick my best and hatch from them. BUT I keep detailed records of all my birds.
It is a lot of work and I love it. My flock gets better every year. For instance I just hatched 6 blue chicks and of them
one did turn out as pet quality and I will not have any trouble finding it a good home. 2 will be good birds and I will sell them as such and the other 3 I think have the potential of being show stealers next year. I am thrilled and can not wait to see them grow into stunning balls of fluff.

:)

I would talk to the people at your feed store, especially if it's a smaller, locally owned place...they seem to know just about everything that's going on. I've found that folks at the larger places (TSC, etc.) can be hit-or-miss when it comes to any kind of knowledge. And unfortunately, I've found my county extension people to be about the same.

Back
Top Bottom