What to do with Gizzards?

Nyssa03

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Eastern Washington State
We recently harvested some ducks and I am having a hard time figureing out how to do something with the gizzards---- I have watched all the you-tube videos and it still took me about an hour to successfully clean TWO. I will just chop them and feed them to my dogs, but if someone has some advice how to clean quickly and how to make them delicious I'd like to give that a try -- thanks, Patsy

Can't speak for duck gizzards but my mom would take chicken gizzards and pressure cook them until tender. She'd then make a chicken broth based soup with bits of chicken meat and lot's of rice and add the gizzards. In the end it was much thicker than soup - more like rice with some broth and chicken meat/gizzards in it.

Don't know if you could do the same with duck but what mom made was wonderful.

The lining of the gizzards in ducks is stuck on there but good. The lining in a chicken gizzard just peels off. That doesn't work with ducks.

I just wash the duck gizzards and chop them up and make dog food out of them. I leave the lining on because it is so difficult to get loose.

If you want to use them for yourself, I suggest that you sacrifice a little bit of gizzard and just slice the lining off with a sharp knofe. Your dogs can eat the lining and the small amount of meat left on it.

Thanks so much for your reply --- after watching the you-tube video, I was thinking I must be a real wimp- it must have been chicken livers because they did peel easily in the video.
My dogs will be happy with your answer also!!!!

The lining of the gizzards in ducks is stuck on there but good. The lining in a chicken gizzard just peels off. That doesn't work with ducks.

I just wash the duck gizzards and chop them up and make dog food out of them. I leave the lining on because it is so difficult to get loose.

If you want to use them for yourself, I suggest that you sacrifice a little bit of gizzard and just slice the lining off with a sharp knofe. Your dogs can eat the lining and the small amount of meat left on it.

x2 I would just chop them up a little and feed raw to the dogs. Great healthy treat for them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom