what to do with last chicken

rocketdoctor

Chirping
12 Years
May 10, 2010
I have a rooster that I am planning to give away to a farm where they let the chickens free range, Ive kept him a little longer than I planned to so he can keep company of the one americana hen I have left after my other 4 chickens were killed. I have seven other month old chicks/pullets that I have added to a seperated part of the coop but not the run. when I give the Rooster away the americana will be by herself for a while. I am wondering if I should give the americana with the rooster away or will she get over it and bond with the other chickens eventually?

I've never tried it with just one hen, but I think that would just make her MORE likely to accept them.

It would be best if you put her where she can see and hear the little ones - separated by chicken wire is good. After the chicks get some size on them and the hen gets used to them, they should mix OK.

well right now at night when my chickens come back into the coop I put the little ones in a box covered with wire for the evening. Once they get a little bigger Im going to let them go into a seperated part of the run

Back
Top Bottom