What to do with leftover ham from boiled dinner?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by redhen, Oct 30, 2010.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hi! I have 2 smoked picnic shoulders that i made a boiled dinner with..(boiled together cabbage/potatoes/carrots/ham)
    I hate for them to go to waste.. as there is a lot of meat left.
    What can i do with this meat? I usually make split-pea soup... but i'm sick of that...
    Any other ideas?
    Also.. this ham was boiled with cabbage..so..it does have a bit of that "taste" on it...So i cant really make ham salad or anything like that..cause it will taste "off"...
    Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Cover it with a spicy barbecue sauce. That should cover up the cabbage flavor. Or if you like cooked greens, cook it with those. Down here in the South, we'd use collards!

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Thanks! Maybe i will try the BBQ sauce for something different.. [​IMG]

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I was about to say, I save the ham and the bones for soups and greens. If I am not in the mood at the time, they go in the freezer. I make pumpkin soup with ham, but how cabbage-y does it taste? Toss in some Bay leaves and cover it up.
    I love ham, cabbage, and potatoes...uuummmm... [​IMG]
    I am making that.
    but I still need to make rebel cowboys slow cooker ham and cola. I am never at the store when the shoulders are on sale. [​IMG]

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:OOh ham and cola?? That sounds yummy.. [​IMG]

6. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

solution: invite me for leftovers [​IMG]

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG] deal!

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Quote:[​IMG] but a great solution. [​IMG]

9. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Ham and potato (use hashbrowns, tator tots, mashed potatoes, or cut up potatoes) casserole.....but I was gonna say to make sandwiches with it....you might like it the flavor might not be that bad. I use a chopper and cuts it in to small shredded pieces...or a food processor on a few spins....with mayo thats it. We do this with turkey and ham. We also do this with meat like pork and roast with either ketchup or bbq sauce for sandwiches. You can ad what you want. Turkey is my favorite with just mayo bestfoods.

10. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Ham and beans??

Split pea soup sounds yummy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by