What to do with monster dog.. Morally and Logically. (Long!)

It's not easy.. I know. I've been there. Hardest thing I've ever done... but I DON'T REGRET IT!

Sorry for your difficult choice. But I feel you have made the right and responsible one.

hugs.gif

You are obviously such a kind, loving, and good person. I am so sorry that you are going through this and that this decision was forced on you. Just know that you did the right, the only, thing.
hugs.gif

I just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one in the same situation. You are doing the right thing. If you get a dog that has extreme odds stacked against him and will not be able to find a suitable home, the only kind and responsible thing to do is to have him put down. It shouldn't be your responsibility, but the person who owned him before. Personally, I think those people who can drop animals off in the countryside or use the local pound as a drop off service, need to volunteer themselves at the pound or animal control and see just what happens to those animals. They need to grow up and realize that they are doing those dogs and cats more harm by turning them loose than taking responsibility for their own animals and actions. They do not seem to realize that these dogs end up eating other people's animals, getting hit by cars, shot, or even biting someone. They think a domestic animal can just go wild and be forgotten.

It sounds like you have done everything you could for him and that's so much more than what he could have asked.

I have a rescued German Shepherd, my dog Maximus. He has dominant-aggressive tendencies and cannot co-habitate with my other male German Shepherd. He is also VERY intimidating for those people who are not use to working with working-blood German Shepherds. He is very dominant and very energetic, it is how he was bred to be. He was bred to do very demanding and aggressive work. I cannot place this dog in the average home, I have had him for over a year waiting for a police officer or other working home to adopt him. We have a prospective taker out in New Mexico who wants him for a Narcotics and Search and Research.

I am praying that the deal works out and if the rest of you could, please say a little prayer for Maximus and I as well. My only other option for this dog is to either move out and away from my father and I's other male German Shepherd or to euthanise him.

I know a police officer who rescued a crazy dog from the shelter with the hopes of turning it around. Unfortunately when he got it evaluated by a professional trainer, the trainer gave him devastating news that the dog would never be suitable for work around women, children, or cats. He spent the whole day at the park with the dog, taking it for a walk, and then to McDonalds and well, you know the rest of the story.

As much as we hope and wish, we cannot save them all. It will be hard when the day comes, but the day after your world will seem right once more. You can be satisfied in the knowledge you did him better good than any owner before him and even made the world a safer place without another aggressive, unwanted dog.

-Kim

As you said...your border collie told you everything..THEY KNOW when another dog is unbalanced...i'm sorry that you had to make this tough decision...my thoughts are with you..Wendy

Back
Top Bottom