What to do with monster dog.. Morally and Logically. (Long!)

As much as I hate saying it, put him down. I have voluteered at a local dog pound that euthanises a lot of animals. We have a dog from them, a 5 year old black setter long haired mutt. If we wouldn't have fostered and adopted him, he would have been put down. But he is like the best dog ever. Protects my birds from predators, barks when intruders comes, but would never hurt anyone, if you call him he comes and rolls over and looks all cute, and is very calm and loves to go down to the creek and swim. So if a dog like ours was going to be put down, then that crazy thing sure should. You are doing the right thing.

Something has happened to him as he was being raised that caused him to be this way. It seems like something in his spirit has snapped, and rehabilitation will not be successful in a dog like that. It's not his fault.. but he's also not happy this way, I am sure. I am sure he would want to be a good companion if he could. The most humane thing for him, and the safest thing for any other possible owners is to have him put down. I'm sorry you are having to go through this, but it sounds like you have done all that you can do.

God Bless you, and this doggie.

I am sad to say too there is probably no alternative. It is sad in the fact that another dog is probably ruined due to lack of training. Some breeds have the tendency to be aggressive, but let me tell you I have seen a lot of aggressive labs and docile pits, go figure. He probably got this way due to the fact the owners didn't establish themselves as pack leader. First sign of aggression or poseviveness(sp?) should be dealt with right away. I saw a former dog handler use a technique similar to alpha wolves in a pack and that is to roll the dog on this back and hold him there and have him not look you in the eye. This is how wolves discipline and establish order in the pack. Sometimes killing a pup with kindness isn't always the best thing. I have heard of stories where dogs have actually taken over the position of pack leader in the house! I have been fortunate in my life not having this problem. None of my dogs have had any training in the past, but I guess I have been lucky. This dog could be retained but only with a very very experienced trainer, but at 5 years it may be to late. Most shelters have a test they give strays and etc to see if they are aggressive and most all that don't past are put down.

I have to agree, there is something wrong with the dog and you should do it without guilt. You tried to do the right thing and give it a home. Someone is going to get hurt otherwise.
hugs.gif

I think you have done everything you can do for this dog to give him a chance.

I agree with what others have said here. I think you are looking for an OK or reassurance that you aren't taking the easy way out, or are being selfish instead of looking out for what is best for everyone.

I believe you have already fufilled any moral obligation way above and beyond the call of duty. Just picking the dog up in the first place was an act of extreme kindness and humanity. I think now it is the humane thing to do to give this dog peace. Here's the only options I can see otherwise:

1. Give him away - as others have agreed, not morally responsible given his issues
2. Find a shelter to take him - as others have said, unless you can find a sanctuary for aggressive dogs (and you have already looked..), he will just be refused or euthanized.
3. Keep him - in order to keep him, with his issues you would have to keep him penned up in a small kennel with a top over it in order to keep your livestock and other pets safe. That is SOOOO not fair to this dog either.
4. Euthanize him - a gentle and humane way to solve this issue given the other options. I have to agree that this options is the right thing to do, unfortunately.

The dog totally lives in the present. He will have no understanding that you are taking him in for that reason. He'll just know a small prick of a needle, and then will drift off to sleep. You have given him probably the best times of his life since you took him in - good care, good food, etc. Now it's time to let him go out peacefully.

Hugs to you - and kudos for actually caring enough to worry if you are doing the right thing!!

DO NOT feel bad about your decision to humanely euthanize this poor fella. You bless your soul were the one kind person in this dogs life to give him a chance at life without knowing the WHOLE picture of his raising. Lord only knows what he experienced before you got him. Look at it from this view , You tried to give him a great life but what has happened to him before may not be able to be undone even with the Dog Whisperer.
I am a Vet Tech and I have seen more than my share of poor dog and terrible owner stories then I care to think about and I too am a rescuer and I have gotten some that were so bad or dangerous that the only kind thing to do to these poor creatures was todo the humane thing for them. I have been bitten many times by these time bombs.
I always stayed with them until they "went to sleep " telling them I loved them and giving them that last loving pat. It probably made me feel alot better then they did but I felt they went to the rainbow bridge knowing someone cared for them, You have done all you can for him don't feel bad about this decision. Believe me you would feel so much worse if you rehomed him and he went bad and hurt someone or something. I always told myself that sometimes the best gift we could give these poor animals was the gentle peace at the rainbow bridge. You are a very good soul for trying so hard to help him and when he is gently at rest you will still be that good soul the helped him and believe me there will always be others to help. Trudy

Sure sounds like we're all in agreement that you've done all you can for him. While I'm the bigget animal lover on the planet (okay, maybe not on the ENTIRE planet...) I'm also a proponent of training, which it sounds like you've done what you can there!! If you're dead set on not euthanizing him, I'd highly recommend watching Cesar Millan/The Dog Whisperer if you have access to the National Geo. channel. He's phenominal with dogs who have issues such as this one does, and it sounds to me like you've got the understanding and committment it would take to rehabilitate him. JMO.

I too have rescued and worked with many tough cases dog wise. I have been on the side that most dogs are able to be rehabilitated but some nuts are hard to crack. He seems like a tough nut. Most people would have him put to sleep and I would agree with them. The ultimate decision is up to you. He seems like he needs major professional help. As not all of us have access to Cesar Milan aka "the Dog Whisperer", you have to look at what capabilities that you have to heal his psyche. If he is beyond your abilities to heal then yes the answer is to have him euthanized. I have had to make that decision many times myself when the dog is beyond my abilities to heal. And you are right you can not rehome him until he is safe.

If you do chose to euthanize him dont feel bad as you are making the correct and right decision for you and the dog.

Quote:
Based on this, I agree with your vet. I would have him put to sleep, no question. If you re-homed that dog and it later attacked a child....

Listen to your gut instinct. I know it is an incredibly hard decision, I had to make the exact same decision a year ago myself. In the end, I know I made the right decision. As hard as it was to end her life, I don't know if I would have been able to live with myself if she had ever hurt a child.

hugs.gif

Dogs can indeeed be mentally ill, and/or scarred by past experience. It sounds like that is what you have.
My friend is a professional dog trainer, and she was called into a case and ended up falling in love with and keeping a crazy dog that was on his way to being euthanized. Even after the enormous number of hours she puts into this dog on a daily basis, he still needs careful handling and constant diligence. That is an enormous responsibility, and still the dog can be very unpredictable. She wouldn't advise it for the average person - it takes a lot away from the enjoyment of having a dog if you can't trust it.
On a side note, thank you for taking the dog in and being responsible. His previous owners should be prosecuted for animal abandonment. If they didn't want their dog, it was their responsibility to make sure it was properly dealt with. Instead you now have the heartache of having to make the decision for them. That is not fair to you, and I'm sorry.

Back
Top Bottom