What to do with my rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Want2Bfarm, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Want2Bfarm

Want2Bfarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    My rooster want to sleep in the nesting boxes. All the hens use the roost. There is plenty of room.I have 2 roost in the coop. they are both the same height. Should I make 1 higher?

2. JediJinx

JediJinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Ohio
    Maybe he does not like to roost on a bar. Maybe make your roosts wider, like a 2 x 4.

3. cehasz

cehasz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2014
    EVERY night I have to move my EE Rooster. He is the lowest of the lowest in the pecking order. I have multiple roosters and he is timid, shy, and just pitiful. Funny enough, he is the largest rooster I have! I made him his own roost to share with his brother and I have to move him out of the nest box every single night. It is thoroughly annoying!

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Someone has to be at the bottom of the pecking order, but multiple roosters usually do cause problems. I would watch the flock, and decide which cocks need to stay, and move the rest on. Mary

5. Want2Bfarm

Want2Bfarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Buddy, my Buff, is the king of the flock. His problem is he wants to spend the night in the nesting boxes. Every night I need to relocate him to the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by