What to do with non-laying hens?

ONE WAY TO TELL IF A CHICKEN SHOULD BE LAYING IS THE COMB ON TOP THEIR HEAD WILL NOT BE BRIGHT RED ANY LONGER AND ALSO THE LEGS WILL BE YELLOW AND ROUGH LOOKING I HAVE SEVERAL BARRED ROCKS 5 TO 6 YEARS OLD NOW THAT LOOK THAT WAY AND THEY ARE NOT LAYING. MY OLD CHICKENS STAY OUT FREE RANGING ALMOST ALL TIME , MY YOUNGER HENS I ROTATE THEM IN THE EVENING WHEN I AM HOME.

What do you mean you "rotate" them?

[QUOTE=".how do you know who’s not laying...next...how old are chickens when they stop being productive..and last..I read don’t use heat lamps in winter due to fire risk..so do you mean LED?

This should be reasonably easy to determine. Look at the chicken's vent. If it's large, moist and oval shaped she's very likely laying. If it's high, tight and circular, she's not. I don't know how accurate the space between pelvic bones becomes with older layers, but one good sign is if they're spread apart and somewhat flexible (to allow the egg to come out).

Also, not heat lamps, just a regular light to stimulate their brains into thinking it's not winter. Works really well. I chose one that's got a shatter-proof plastic cover over the actual bulb.[/QUOTE]
This is great info about checking the vents...I am suspicious of a hen..and now I can win the debate with my hubby! :)

Back
Top Bottom