What to do with Olaf?

HollyWoozle

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
I've posted about our rooster Olaf before but I could do with some advice please... or some sense knocking into me! We have had Olaf since April 2017 when he hopped over the fence from the neighbour's place and they let us keep him (his hens also hopped the fence and neighbour's didn't really want them anymore anyway). Apologies for the length.

In the time we have had him he has primarily been a very good rooster. I posted in November 2018 about him suddenly getting aggressive with hens, but we concluded that it was food-related (we had taken away the feeders we previously had out) and when we reinstated other feeders the problem stopped, so that is our fault and not his. Last summer he wounded a few hens in quick succession when mounting them - we gave him a pedicure (trimmed and filed his spurs and claws a little) and we had no problems after that, with all hens healing nicely. He doesn't seem to have good feet and I think wounded them not by being overly rough but just accidentally.

He is generally very good-natured with people and the hens and we enjoy keeping him. He always lets the hens eat first and calls them over, breaks up fights if the girls have them and my young nieces love him - they don't touch him but we trust him implicitly with them and they like to see him. We don't have any need for a rooster as we don't breed, but we enjoy the social element he brings to the flock.

Now spring is underway we have a problem again and I guess the only solution would sadly be to cull him or to separate him, which I am not sure is a nice life for a rooster? He is keeping himself very busy, doing what roosters do, but several of the hens are beginning to look very battered with a lot of feather loss. This morning Astrid seemed to be hiding and she has lost a lot of feathers since yesterday and looks very tired (I've checked her over and can't see any wounds, think she just needs a rest!). I notice that when he dismounts from the hens he often seems a bit sort of stuck and pulls out feathers with his feet as he gets off them. None of the hens have any wounds at present and he does not seem nasty with them but is clearly doing some damage. He has 18 hens with him and seems to share the love between many of them, although there are some he never bothers with (presumably those who are not in lay?).

I don't wish to rehome him as there are many roosters looking for homes already, plus I don't wish to pass a problem on to someone else. I wondered if we could separate him in full view of the hens perhaps, but presumably that would be frustrating for him and not a very nice life? He is out with them currently but Astrid the hen is having a rest in our 'chicken hospital'. Photos of Astrid attached and of Olaf - he has crooked feet as you can see and is a fairly big boy.

We love him but of course we have to think of the welfare of the girls so any thoughts much appreciated. I expect many of you will say to cull him and we'll have to face up to it! IMG_8600.jpg IMG_8603.jpg IMG_8605.jpg

PS. I should add that Olaf already had another pedicure last week but you can't get too much off spurs or claws, the quick grows close to the end. I did my best to blunt them with a file. Astrid looks sleepy in the pics but was actually quite perky mostly and is drinking and picking at food, plus has had some nutri-drops.

Have you tried chicken saddles? You can remove his spur (people suggested this to me before when I had a rooster, but I rehomed him to a nice farm). If he's within proximity of the hens but can't get to them, be prepared for him to go insane trying to get at them for a while until he realizes that he can't. I would still let him in though every so often because a single chicken by themselves (even visually seeing other chickens) isn't always a great option depending on the chicken.

There was actually a woman @speckledhen who posted about saddles yesterday that was very informative

Last edited:
Chicken saddles for the favorite hens are a great idea. Also you can entirely remove the outer shell of the spur with no harm to the roo. It will grow back again but meanwhile is much shorter and less tangling and tripping for him. There’s a ‘hot potato ‘ method but just holding a wet cloth on the spur for a minute before you twist/pull the outer shell will work. A touch of vetericyn spray or even blu kote if you have it can seal it as it’s slightly raw for a few minutes. The Roos don’t seem to mind at all and the hens are happier. Olaf clearly has a few favorite hens he focuses on which is pretty normal. You can also separate him but keep him right near them. I have too many Roos so I did a bachelor pen and now rotate them day by day and they have no issue being on the opposite side of the fencing from the girls. A local chicken breeder in my area made a super helpful video on spur removal. I’ll see if I can find it to post later today when I’m on my computer.

Thanks for your thoughts. We do have a few chicken saddles around as we used one on Spotty Dotty last year when she was healing to keep her safe. I'm not sure how I feel about them really... I guess it's better than being wounded though! Aside from Astrid, there are two hens who look a bit rough (Emily and Snow who he does seem to favour) and then a couple with missing feathers here and there, but overall they are OK. Funnily enough I'm not sure that I've ever seen him on Astrid so it is an assumption that he is even the cause of her problem, but I think it's highly likely.

Thanks for your thoughts. We do have a few chicken saddles around as we used one on Spotty Dotty last year when she was healing to keep her safe. I'm not sure how I feel about them really... I guess it's better than being wounded though! Aside from Astrid, there are two hens who look a bit rough (Emily and Snow who he does seem to favour) and then a couple with missing feathers here and there, but overall they are OK. Funnily enough I'm not sure that I've ever seen him on Astrid so it is an assumption that he is even the cause of her problem, but I think it's highly likely.
I have a whole new flock and only 1 of my chickens I raises, her name is Eve. Eve is the top hen at this house and jumps on the back of the hen below her in the pecking order. I assume it's something she learned from her brothers :gigWhen I saw it, I was in shock. I think sometimes it can be roosters or the top hen(s) that cause feathers to get damaged or worn out.

Hoping you find a solution to your problem! Your chickens have amazing names as well!

How many hens do you have? I would get some more chicks if that is an option and separate him just for springtime

We have 18 hens with Olaf already. I think maybe saddles for the favourites or separating him will be our best option it seems!

Maybe my earlier post was a bit dramatic, I just went out again and really thought about it and there are essentially three other hens who have lost quite a few feathers but the rest look good when I stop and think about it. Snow and Emily are in these pics and they are the most dishevelled after Astrid, but he favours them and they are not afraid of him. I think they look a bit rougher in reality - hard to show in the pics on hens who are black or white! IMG_8547.jpg IMG_8617.jpg

@chkva - thanks about the names! The ones I named are with a sort of Viking theme, although my nieces actually named Olaf after the snowman in Frozen. Our Viking/Medieval hens are Astrid, Runa, Frida, Helga, Ragnhild, Sigrún, Idunn, Lagertha, Gyda, Gunnhild, Thyra. The others are Snow, Emily, Spotty Dotty, Skye, Emerald, Saffy and Speckles.

We have 18 hens with Olaf already. I think maybe saddles for the favourites or separating him will be our best option it seems!

Maybe my earlier post was a bit dramatic, I just went out again and really thought about it and there are essentially three other hens who have lost quite a few feathers but the rest look good when I stop and think about it. Snow and Emily are in these pics and they are the most dishevelled after Astrid, but he favours them and they are not afraid of him. I think they look a bit rougher in reality - hard to show in the pics on hens who are black or white! View attachment 1761451 View attachment 1761452

@chkva - thanks about the names! The ones I named are with a sort of Viking theme, although my nieces actually named Olaf after the snowman in Frozen. Our Viking/Medieval hens are Astrid, Runa, Frida, Helga, Ragnhild, Sigrún, Idunn, Lagertha, Gyda, Gunnhild, Thyra. The others are Snow, Emily, Spotty Dotty, Skye, Emerald, Saffy and Speckles.
That's why I love the names! I love anything to do with Vikings!

You weren't dramatic, I would be the same way! Pictures always look better than what's in reality right in front of you

I've posted about our rooster Olaf before but I could do with some advice please... or some sense knocking into me!
Very good post, all the info needed.
Get rid of him :smack...or at least confine him, of course he won't like it but he may settle in and you can release him later in the season or until you 'invite him for dinner'.

Back
Top Bottom