What to do with older layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cqranch, Nov 29, 2008.

1. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    What does everyone do with their older layers? Do you try to sell them? Give them away? They are still laying some, especially in summer they were laying quite well.. 2-3 eggs per week, hens are over 2 years.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All my original girls are about to turn 3 yrs old, the ones who haven't died from internal laying, that is. They stay here till they pass on. No stew pot, no auction.

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    My older girls are still here, 6 years, I still get eggs from them but not during the winter and not every day. They will stay here till the end, they are my pets and they eat bugs and left overs.

4. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

So you keep the older ones and integrate new ones in as they die off?

5. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I've given a few away to people who wanted them for pets (knowing they would rarely lay) and a few I have kept because they are good brooders or surrigate mothers. I have quite a few old birds who are freeloaders by production standards but the cost of feeding and housing them as pets go is still much less than a dog or cat would be.

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Quote:Yes, I also have two 8 month olds and two 6 month olds, and then two others I do not know the age of. One just showed up and started living with us and the other was a rescue. I have four that are 6 years. They all live together, except for the one that just showed up, she prefers to be alone and is broody all the time, but no rooster to make her eggs fertile. This time she is under the barn and I can not get to her.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    When mine quit laying, they will become stew.

8. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Depends on what their intended function was. I have Bantams that will live out their days here because they're considered pets. I have a couple of barred rocks that are also pets. The main layer flock though will end up in a stew pot after two years. That's why we bought them and that's why I've never named them. I wouldn't be able to justify feeding that many birds if they aren't laying.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  9. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    Keeping them until they die sounds like would be ok if you have a few birds, won't cost that much in feed. Right now I have close to 80 birds. Around 20 of them being the older layers. I've been hatching eggs now to have some pullets ready to lay next spring as their replacements. 20 freeloaders, I think, would be too many. Being a bachelor, I wouldn't be making that much stew either. lol. Guess I'll try selling them first, then if that don't work, will give them away.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think i may keep a few "special" ones..and add the others to my stew pot...unless i can find them a REALLY good home....which will be highly unlikely..most people wont take in a hen that dosent lay anymore..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by