What to do with over protective hens of other hens chicks

b&b's barnyard

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
birnamwood
My silkie hatched last weak Monday to adorable chicks I had her in a rabbit cage in the coop My 2 big cochin hens became very protective of the cage after chicks hatched would hardly let me in to feed and water the new family. So I decided to move mom and babies into another pen so they could get out and investigate a bigger area and spread there wings now one of the cochins has gotten into the pen and is trying to be momma to she isn't pickin on the silkie nor has she gone into the cage where the originally nest is but when chicks are out she tries to help keep them warm and teach them to scratch and pick is this normal? Chicks go back to real momma when she clucks in the nest. And the cochin will just snuggle up to cage is all this normal or do I have nanny hen?

It happens, no biggie. I have had two or more hens want o "mother" the same group of chicks and usually they get along fine. What could be better than two moms?! The only problem may be if the two hens decide to fight over the chicks. Cochins are a pretty broody breed so it does not surprise me that she would want to "adopt" the babies. Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom