1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with "packing peanuts"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by congdon476, Jan 4, 2009.

1. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    OK- so from what I can tell, everyone pretty much gets "packing peanuts" this time of year with their chick orders. My question is, if you really don't want them... what are the options. I'm not cruel and thinking starvation or freezing outside... but I REALLY don't want to feed a bunch of dominant male chicks so they can grow up and make lots of noise (we have close neighbors and regulations prohibit the crowing). Are there places that would take them and re-home them for free, or are people interested enough if I put something in the "free" section of the newspaper I might be able to get rid of them? Ideas appreciated. I looked all over the boards and haven't found anything about it yet.

2. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    you could eat them when they get older! [​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Craigslist

Of course, some might end up as snake food...

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I put an ad on craigslist and rehomed my 9 br packing peanuts to a ladt with a mobile petting zoo until they grow up, after that its off to live on their farm "dinner in training"

5. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Well, you could always pack them a lunch and send them my way!

6. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    why do you call them packing peanuts? sorry I may sound stoopid (hhhaaahha get it STOOPid) but I'm new

7. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    because they are put in with the order to fill the box so that the ordered chicks stay warm [​IMG]

8. Edfewlass

Edfewlass Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    Callahan Fl
    Okay I am new too so I will bite whats wrong with them why would they just throw them in

9. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

These are extra chicks they put in the box so there is enough body heat. They're not always roosters!

I say keep them until you can tell what they are, and if you don't want them, sell them on Craigslist.

10. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    i am going to keep mine until i find out if they are all roos, then i am going to make roo soup!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by