What to do with pine shavings from coop?

jmc0319

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 15, 2013
I am totally new at this therefore have lots of questions. I am planning on using pone shavings in my coop and nest boxes. I will have between 6 and 8 hens. My question is what do I do with the shavings once they are dirty? What do others do?

All mine go into a compose for the garden. I use straw and shavings. great for composting. I have approx. 55 chickens and expecting more by next month

In the actual "house", I stir up every couple of days and only completely clean out maybe once a month. This is for an above ground house that they really only sleep or lay eggs in. When I completely clean it out, I just dump it right out into the run. My run is about a 10x20, uncovered. In the run I do the deep litter method and just keep adding to it with the house shavings. Another option is to add it to your garden or compost. I never have noticed any smell, but I also use fermented feed. I don't usually have to stir up the deep litter too much as the chickens do a good job of that. I do, however, have to turn the deep litter in my ducks' run. Here is a link if you are interested in the deep litter method.
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/deep-litter-method.html

Back
Top Bottom