What to do with quail eggs?

kitkat5505

Songster
Apr 25, 2017
Utah
Our neighbors gave us a dozen quail eggs (for eating) and I have no idea what to do with them lol. I read that they are much higher in nutrients than chicken eggs so eating too many makes some people sick, but a couple tiny eggs isn't really filling lol. Are there recipes they are good for adding to? Or just mix them in with regular eggs? Or would they be ok to scramble and feed my chicks since I've heard chickens love scrambled eggs (also new to chickens lol).

Well, you can hatch them in an incubator if you'd like as long as they're fresh, because all quail eggs are fertile. Or, you can eat them, as many at a time as you want (most people use 10-12 at a time.) They are good boiled and put in a salad, too. Your chicks wouldnprobably like them BOILED and then mashed, but that is a waste of a delicacy in my opinion :)

I slice them in half and add them to Asian noodle dishes. Or u can make the cutest deviled eggs. Or you can poach them in tomato sauce and serve over crusty Italian bread (or pasta) as my favorite Lenten dish of "Eggs in Purgatory" Shakshouka is a very similar dish made in the Middle East. Oh and I bet they would be awesome in pasta carbonara.
Or Egg Curry is pretty yummy too and all of these use egg but not so much that you are eating just egg in case they are too rich for you.
Feeding them to the chickens just seems like a waste. I can't wait for mine to start laying, so I'm obviously biased tho . . . Plus a dozen quail eggs are 3 times the price of a dozen chicken eggs around here so feeding them to chickens is like giving your cat fillet mignon.

Lol that was my thought about feeding them to the chickens, they are just so tiny it seems like more work making anything worthwhile with them lol. I saw someone's pic of tiny deviled eggs and they look so cute (and I love deviled eggs!) but how long would I boil these tiny eggs? I can barely boil regular eggs right haha.

Lol that was my thought about feeding them to the chickens, they are just so tiny it seems like more work making anything worthwhile with them lol. I saw someone's pic of tiny deviled eggs and they look so cute (and I love deviled eggs!) but how long would I boil these tiny eggs? I can barely boil regular eggs right haha.
I bring my quail eggs to a boil and then remove from heat and cover for 3 minutes. Then I cool them asap.
Usually by dumping them in cold water with ice in it.

Boiled quail eggs are my favorite! :)

Well, you can hatch them in an incubator if you'd like as long as they're fresh, because all quail eggs are fertile.
They were already refrigerated before they gave them to us, they keep them just for eating.

I bring my quail eggs to a boil and then remove from heat and cover for 3 minutes. Then I cool them asap.
Usually by dumping them in cold water with ice in it.

Boiled quail eggs are my favorite! :)

First of all, not all quail eggs are magically fertile. If they keep them for eating they might not even have a male in there, then they're definitely not fertile. Heck, out of the 31 eggs I put in an incubator recently, 7 of them were not fertile despite having a 1:3 rooster to hen ratio.

I agree with the boiling info above. I usually put them in cold water, bring to a boil for about 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat and put them in an ice bath. If you are going to boil them, let them age for a bit in your fridge because fresh eggs (quail and chicken alike) are a pain to boil/peel because the membranes are so fresh and tough.

They are really good fried sunny side up and then put on top of a burger. They make wonderful tiny deviled eggs and are always a hit when I do them for parties, but take forever. Five quail eggs equals one chicken egg if you are using them in recipes, but it's a waste to bake them into something if it's just an occasional treat to have quail eggs. If you had more than a dozen I'd recommend making egg custard or crème brulee, as the quail yolks make them extra creamy.

First of all, not all quail eggs are magically fertile. If they keep them for eating they might not even have a male in there, then they're definitely not fertile. Heck, out of the 31 eggs I put in an incubator recently, 7 of them were not fertile despite having a 1:3 rooster to hen ratio.

I agree with the boiling info above. I usually put them in cold water, bring to a boil for about 2-3 minutes, then remove from heat and put them in an ice bath. If you are going to boil them, let them age for a bit in your fridge because fresh eggs (quail and chicken alike) are a pain to boil/peel because the membranes are so fresh and tough.

They are really good fried sunny side up and then put on top of a burger. They make wonderful tiny deviled eggs and are always a hit when I do them for parties, but take forever. Five quail eggs equals one chicken egg if you are using them in recipes, but it's a waste to bake them into something if it's just an occasional treat to have quail eggs. If you had more than a dozen I'd recommend making egg custard or crème brulee, as the quail yolks make them extra creamy.

Thanks :) I'm pretty sure they are not fertile because I think they just have 2 female quail.

I feed some to my dogs as treats (they love them eat them shell and all). But it is normally the ones that have cracks when i collect them. when ever we cook breakfast we just mix the quail eggs in with our chicken eggs. If we have some that are getting a few weeks old we will cook them up and give them to the chickens. They can clean a plate of them in just a min. I like to soft boil some 1-2 min in boiling water then pulled out the whites are cooked but the yellow is still runny. Ill fix 5 or 6 of those as a snack. If you have some of the little biscuits (about the size of a silver dollar) fry up some of the quail eggs with some ham or bacon and make some finger breakfast foods.

I have seen a sunnyside up quail egg nestled in a portobello mushroom online :p

I hear some people are huge fans of pickled quail eggs and think they're easy to make, shell and all?? (I think) :)

Back
Top Bottom