What to do with sole attack survivor?

MNTCK

Hatching
Apr 9, 2019
We let our three hens out to range a bit yesterday afternoon, and a fox attacked. Only one hen survived. She's missing a few feathers, but doesn't seem injured. Definitely in a state of shock, though -- sitting silently in the nesting box, not eating or drinking. Any advice for this type of situation?

I'm sorry for your loss!

Keep her safe in the coop with water and food. Some electrolyte water might not be a bad idea (along with fresh, plain water). Glad to hear she is not injured.

Chickens are social, so for long term, she will need friends. If she goes to another flock, she would likely have a tough time integrating, since she would be the only new bird. It could work, but integrating a single chicken into an existing flock is usually a bit more challenging.

You could buy some chickens similar in age to her, or some started pullets from a hatchery.

You may also have success if you got chicks and raised them separately, but within view of her for about 4-6 weeks in a see/hear but no-touch situation, then integrate her and the chicks.

Good Luck.

Thanks Acre. I'll get some electrolyte water in the coop for her and start looking for some new additions, I suppose. If anyone in Minneapolis is looking to relocate a 3 yr old hen, let me know...

Should I be worried about the fox returning for another easy meal? Any sort of repellents I can put around the backyard to keep it away?

Thanks Acre. I'll get some electrolyte water in the coop for her and start looking for some new additions, I suppose. If anyone in Minneapolis is looking to relocate a 3 yr old hen, let me know...

Should I be worried about the fox returning for another easy meal? Any sort of repellents I can put around the backyard to keep it away?

:welcomeSorry that it was a tragic event that brought you here. Your state has a very active thread and I'm sure if you posted there you will find a hen/pullet to keep yours company. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/surviving-minnesota.1052702/

And to answer your question about the fox: Yes it will come back. I'm not sure about repellents. Do you have a fenced and covered run? If not, that might be your best option to keep them safe. If you only plan to keep 2-3 birds, there are many ideas for smaller covered runs here:https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance.9/

I hope your hen recovers quickly - best of luck to you!

Yes, you should be aware that Mr Fox will return. So, should only be coop and/or secure run for now.

As an example of started pullets, many hatcheries sell them. They are at approx the age of getting eggs. Here is a page from Meyer Hatchery, cost isn't bad, and they are 20-24 weeks old. They sell specific breeds as started pullets, but this is the assortment.

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 12.02.20 PM.png

You can also post in BYC state thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/where-am-i-where-are-you.26/ You'll notice the state thread link is pinned at the top.

You can peruse BYC Buy-Sell-Trade forums too (scroll down when on the Forum main page).

And lastly, you might find a breeder/hatchery within driving distance of you, that is also NPIP certified (for avian health):
http://www.poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm
You'll see there are 25 pages of NPIP certified breeders/hatcheries in MN. Certainly you might find some healthy grown hens from some of these places.

Good Luck

Great info, Coop and Acre. The run is covered and fenced, so the survivor is (hopefully) safe. She laid a half-formed egg yesterday and didn't really leave the nesting box, but was moving around a little this morning. I'm working on getting her some new roommates. Thanks.

Great info, Coop and Acre. The run is covered and fenced, so the survivor is (hopefully) safe. She laid a half-formed egg yesterday and didn't really leave the nesting box, but was moving around a little this morning. I'm working on getting her some new roommates. Thanks.

Glad to hear she is improving! Make sure she is eating and drinking, but she may only want to stay in the coop for now. Glad you are investigating some more chickens, since they are social creatures. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom