What to do with spilled feed?

1Teacherchick

Songster
7 Years
May 3, 2012
Northern CA
My chickens spill feed all around the feeder. Should I leave it and hope they eat it? Clean it up periodically? If so, how often? Does it go bad on the ground?

Mo,
I give the chickens their main feed outside in the run only.......take the feeder out of the run at night, and lock it up in a metal can away from the coop(don't want to bait unwanted critters and the chickens don't eat or drink on the roost anyway).

I have an old garden/scratch patch in my yard where I put treats,oyster shells, lawn clippings and stuff out for them while they are free ranging in the afternoons till dark everyday(it's located away from the patio so they don't literally poop everywhere, and the scratch grains, grapes, trout, watermelon etc. don't make a mess in the lawn). The chickens hang there mostly also under the shade bushes, and lots of times back in their run with the door open. Heck why not? cool clean sand to flop around and dust in, fresh h20, and a feeder full of food! who needs to leave the run?

Also, yes my run is covered, if it rains real hard(sideways) the feed in the bottom of the feeder tray can get slightly damp on top. Haven't experienced snow here yet as this is my first time with chickens in Idaho.....but plan on trying the blue tarp lattice sandwich thing I saw on a really cool coop design on this web site.

I only put out what they will clean up in a day as far as feed, and refill it in the am when I let them out of the coop and into the run.

I grew up in New England in the 70's and our chickens didn't love snow but would come out in it to eat and drink, and if the sun was shining to peck around a bit. Ours never had feed 24/7 and in freezing temps we just had to water them twice a day. I didn't have acess to electricity and heated waterers for my chicks as a kid, sometimes all they got were table scraps or what they could forage on their own.

These chickens I have now are totally different, I am an adult, and they are spoiled rotten like all the kids and pets around here, almost to a point of rediculousness! We are having a blast and although my first dozen eggs are gonna cost around $1500 it's all worth it. What started as a small hobby is growing and changing....literally morphing into an adventure..... I guess if I give a few chickens a good life, and get some fresh eggs outta the deal, it'll be money enjoyed and well spent!

Oh and yes that is a rhubarb plant in the picture and they do peck at it but haven't croaked yet

I exchanged a 4H green feeder with the little multi-seperators for a red Little Giant that had a lip on the inside of the bottom pan and one of those little multi-separators also so they couldn't flick the food all over the ground....worked like a champ...also I only give them a bit more than they will clean up in a day, and dump the powder that collects in the bottom tray at the end of the week. Mine weren't flicking it side to side as much as scooping it towards themselves and over the edge and out on the ground, the little bit of a lip stopped the problem, no more food on the ground.

Yes, poor feeder designs plague most folks. The trash can lid kind of tray works well. But still, they've got to clean that up. Chickens seem to enjoy flipping feed out all over as a recreational activity. LOL. With high feed costs, it is imperative for most folks to both secure a good feeder and absolutely, force the birds to clean up their feed area before more is provided for their food tossing activities.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom