What to do with the egg?

Ankanigor

In the Brooder
May 21, 2020
Hi!

I am quite new to having ducks (got my first duckling in april). I now have three, two call ducks and one mallard, all the same age.
Today i found my first egg from my call duck, Blanche!
But, what is the best thing to do with the egg? I only keep my ducks for the company and have no intention of eating their eggs. The egg is not fertile since i don’t have a drake.
I want to do the kindest thing to Blanche, that will make her the least confused. Do you think I should take the egg or leave it? I’m afraid that if she lays more eggs and I leave them, she will start to sit on them and be sad when nothing is happening.

Also, I’m a little confused since it is mid november and quite cold. Is it normal for ducks to start laying eggs at this time?

Thankful for any advice!

With no drake no eggs can hatch but will rot if left.

It is best to remove them. If you know anyone that can use the eggs for food that would be my first choice. If not simply throw the eggs out.

Hi!

I am quite new to having ducks (got my first duckling in april). I now have three, two call ducks and one mallard, all the same age.
But, what is the best thing to do with the egg? I only keep my ducks for the company and have no intention of eating their eggs. The egg is not fertile since i don’t have a drake.
I want to do the kindest thing to Blanche, that will make her the least confused. Do you think I should take the egg or leave it? I’m afraid that if she lays more eggs and I leave them, she will start to sit on them and be sad when nothing is happening.

Also, I’m a little confused since it is mid november and quite cold. Is it normal for ducks to start laying eggs at this time?

Thankful for any advice!
You have to collect the eggs. Always. They are infertile so leaving them is just going to cause them to rot.
If the ducks are not broody, they won't be confused.
Duck eggs are sought after by bakers. You should sell them.

Yep, I agree with the above posts.

Just wondering, are you vegan? I would eat eggs I remove, but I do know a lot of people who disagree with that and such opinions are always interesting.

Some ducks just lay at strange times, especially if it isn't that cold where you are.
Don't worry about it!

Hi!

Thankful for any advice!
Why do you have no intention of eating their eggs?

You have to collect the eggs. Always. They are infertile so leaving them is just going to cause them to rot.
If the ducks are not broody, they won't be confused.
Duck eggs are sought after by bakers. You should sell them.

Thank you for your help! It's good to know that Blanche won't mind if I take her egg, since she doesn't seem to be broody!

Back
Top Bottom