What to do with the first egg...

SarahKate

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Rockvale, TN
Hi there!!! Woke up this morning to a VERY happy surprise! My Red Star laid her very first egg! We weren't sure it was ever going to happen.
smile.png

Now I've got a whole slew of questions that I don't know the answers to.
hu.gif

Do I wash the egg? It has some sort of mucus-type substance on the outside. Does this happen only with the first few eggs, or is that substance on them every time?

Also, do I refrigerate it if we don't plan on eating it today?

And finally, CAN we eat it? I think I heard from someone that they never eat the first couple eggs, but that seems like a waste to me!

Anyways, thanks for the help, ya'll! We are so excited!!!
wee.gif

congrats on your first egg iam still waiting on my first hope you have many many more and the mucus on the egg and i heard its on all eggs and wash it if its dirty that what i was told godd luck

My 8 y.o. grandson and I made a big production out of our first egg.....we looked it over, discussed its qualities, the 'wonders' of eggs, health benefits...then cooked it together and ate it together! I wipe my eggs off with a paper towel & tepid water and dry them with a dry paper towel. If they are completely clean fresh out of the nest, I don't clean them at all...just inspect them for cracks. But I'm new to this, so listen to what the more experienced poutry-people have to say!

Congratulations on your first egg!

It sounds like you collected the egg right after she laid it. Normally you don't need to wash your eggs, there is a protective bloom on eggs to naturally prevent bacteria. If you do wash your eggs you will need to refrigerate them as you will have washed the bloom off.

I started eating the eggs as soon as the girls started laying and I only rinse the eggs with tepid water if there is visible dirt/poo on them but I do store mine in the refrigerator.

Hope this helps!

That "mucous" is the "bloom" which seals the egg against bacteria, and usually dries within a minute or so.

First eggs are fine to eat. I blow out the shells, scramble the eggs (save 'em up for a couple days), and save the intact shell for posterity.

I leave eggs on the kitchen counter, in cartons, for WEEKS. They'll be fine. They'll last longer in the fridge, if you are bothered by the idea of leaving therm out....

Quote:
She is about 23 weeks old. The lady who I bought them from, the Red Stars she kept started laying at 22 weeks, so I guess maybe that is standard?

Thanks to all of you for the congratulations! I do feel like celebrating!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I am a complete newbie. What does the term "blow out the shells" mean? I'd love to be able to save it!!

Using something sharp like a skewer, puncture a small hole in the small end of the egg, all the way through the membrane. Puncture a slightly larger hole in the other end of the egg, also through the membrane.

Put your mouth to the small end hole and blow into the egg really hard, over a bowl to catch the insides. There will be a bit that is harder to expel than the rest of the white and yolk, so that's why you have to blow hard.

Then, once the shell is empty, rinse it out and let it dry.

Cook up the egg "insides" as if you cracked the egg and broke the yolk, whatever way you would normally do so.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom