what to do with the poo?

MNmommy

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
central MN
I know chicken poo is great for fertilizing but not sure how to go about doing it. I have week old chicks and i'm going to change out their bedding/pine chips in a couple days and wondering do I just dump it all out into a garden area or does it have to be made into compost? I don't have a compost bin but I think I might have to make one??

thanks

A really easy way to make a compost bin:

Take an old plastic garbage pail, the 25-50 gallon size; cut the bottom off of it, and poke several holes around the sides. Set it on the ground and put your composting material in it. When it's time to turn it, just lift the pail. The compost will fall out the bottom. Put the pail in a new place, and shovel the compost back into it. Voila! It's turned!

As to your question, composted would be better. Straight manure can burn plants if you aren't real careful!

For me, it depends on timing. If I have a bed I'm not going to use for a while, I'll just dump the poo and shavings on top, till it in, and let it sit.

I wouldn't dump fresh poo on a bed you're planning on using soon, though-- it's too hot. Best to compost first.

Crickett above has a good idea for an easy compost bin. Alternatively, if you have any spare hardware cloth, garden wire or chicken wire around, you can fashion it into a cylinder, and dump the shavings and poo in the middle of it.

Back
Top Bottom