What to do with the poop

I put the chicken droppings, rabbit droppings and water in a big barrel and let it "cook" This is otherwise known as compost tea and it is great for the garden...I also have neighbors who ask for a bucket or so when I am cleaning the pens....Gardeners will love it....!

Thanks for all the replies. The only time the chickens are in the coop is to roost and lay. Other than that they are in a fairly large run. The top of the run is covered and in the winter 3 of the 4 sides will have a wind block put up. I assure you the girls are very happy and well cared for.

Also, I do use pine shavings, about 4 inches deep, but I clean out the poop every day to keep things neat and smelling nice.

Quote:
My grandmother used to refer to that as black gold...I dreaded it when she'd ask me to go fill the watering can with it.

That is the funniest thing I have seen on this forum today.
lol.png

Quote:
All you have to do is have the compost exposed to the ground and the earthworms will come (and reproduce). If you are composting in a container with a bottom the worms cannot get to the good stuff. Throw in kitchen scraps and garden/yard waste for better compost/worm food. Make sure you turn the compost often. I sifted my compost last weekend (see my earlier post) and there were a couple thousand worms, easy.

Back
Top Bottom