What to do with these three roosters

Mikeslikes

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2022
Hello there fellow chicken farmers,

The backstory first,

I started with my first three chicks back in April of 2021. I loved taking care of them and watching them grow up into nice laying hens. In september 2021, I had a racoon get into the run and kill one of the chickens. I was very upset and sad. First chicken lost. I trapped all the local raccoons and took them out the forest. So i got more chicks. Springtime of 2022 I have 8 hens and getting good amount eggs. I didn't get many eggs during the winter so I decided to add some barred rocks to the flock. I lost 3 more chickens to buffalo gnats, two to two foxes, and one to a hawk. I decided to get more chickens and some roosters for protection. My wife's cousin has red island reds with roosters. So i got some fertilzed eggs and incubated them. I got 4 hens and three roosters. My total flock count is now 20 chickens total. 17 hens and 3 roosters (cockerels).

So the 7 had hatched out of 8 eggs in the middle of september. The three roosters are now about 20 weeks old. The four hens and 3 roosters are integrated with my flock. I figure the older hens would keep the young roosters in line. Around week 16, the roosters started changing their behavior towards all the hens.

Rooster number 1,

He is the most dominate rooster, he began going on a mating spree and was getting rough with the hens. One hen he really likes, he even chicken dances with her before mounting, she got her wing damaged and have to separate her from the flock because they are cannibalizing her exposed wound. What is interesting is that she wasn't laying any eggs for about 4 weeks, now she is laying again. I guess she was being stressed by the rooster. So i also decided to put him in the dog cage to keep him away from the Hens. I am getting more eggs now with the other hens. He just was an oversexed young rooster. The hens were not agreeable to that. The one thing that is strange before I locked him up, the younger hens would like to be around him, when he would get on a rooster bar, he would have two to four his RIR sister hens hang out with him. So he may not be all bad.

Rooster number 2,

He didnt bother the hens at all while rooster number 1 was ruling the run. Now that rooster number one is locked up, he wants to mate. He also is crowing which he didnt when rooster one was with the flock. Both roosters are crowing in the morning. Rooster one is still the loudest. None of the hens are interested in him either, he doesnt dance for them yet. He doesnt mate as frequent as rooster number one, but he does. Many of the hens fight him off, sometimes he wins and gets to do his thing.

Rooster number three,

He is very tame, doesnt mate at all with the hens. The hens sorta of shew him way when he walks by. He is the only rooster the hens let roost on the top bar, rooster one and two were always with the few hens on the lower bar. His comb and waddles are large but not as large has rooster one and two's waddles and comb.

Also, none of the roosters attack me, nor do they attack each other. They do ruffle up their feathers and do staring contests, but that is the extent of their violence at this point.

Which one should I keep? I like to keep two, but one would be fine as well. I think rooster three would be a good rooster, but not sure if he would be a good protector. Rooster one and two, might be good protectors because they are aggressive but that could get worse. Also, none of the roosters share food with hens yet. They race for it at this point.

Any help on this matter is appreciated and will answer any questions,

Thanks,

When it comes to the protection that roosters deliver - I'm not sure that they will solve your issues. Roosters mainly just do a call warning and - if pressed - will sacrifice themselves. So, they will only be a protector from your type of predators one time. And even then, a mammal will likely go and kill the hens after they have killed the rooster.

I think that you should be concentrating more on how you're keeping them safe. Have you considered an electric mesh wire boundary? A large enclosed run? We want to make sure that your predation loss is at an ethical ratio and right now it doesn't seem to be.

Rooster 3 sounds like the best bet to me.

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I have an enclosed run. My coop and run are about 10 by 4 feet. I built an attached run that is completely enclosed adjacent to their coop/run that is 10 by 16 feet.

I also have an electric fence around my backyard. My last attack was a hawk attack. That is what I really want the rooster for. I prefer to free range them outside because I save a lot on feed in the warmer months. The eggs are delicious.

I have cameras watching my chickens on my security system as well. So far I am just watching the recordings of the attacks and not catching them in the act. The foxes come by now and then to check on the property. Catching, is being ready with my Ruger 22 LR rifle. Foxes are fast. The electric fence works well when its dry outside. It rains a lot where I live. Illinois.

You are correct when you point out they are cockerals. How they interact with the hens now doesn't tell the whole picture. Also most of the behaviors you are seeing are related to dominance and pecking order. This will change if males are removed. Was the hens wing damaged by the rooster? If so maybe this is the boy to remove. Also it is normal for egg production to slow in Dec and Jan Now that days are lengthening hens should lay more eggs.

OK, I see. I think the 3rd rooster is a good bet - especially or solely for the hawks. I would also advise you to check the legality of killing foxes in your area. Some need a permit and they are often not classified as a nuisance.

Your cockerels are showing normal behaviour for immature boys. This is really, really common in immature cockerels. Their hormones are surging and they are rude, pushy and rough and will overmate your hens. All hormones, no brains. As they mature they will calm down some. When they grow up in a flock that already has a dominant rooster (mature male over 1 year old) they often learn manners quicker. Some roosters will just not tolerate another male, some will. But always one will be dominant, the alpha, the others in the flock will be lower in the pecking order and will stay out of his way (or else), some can be very docile and act more like hens, trying to not get his attention. Some cockerels will challenge the alpha, and you will have fights and injuries. In those cases you should separate them unless you like dealing with, sometimes serious, injuries. And hens can get caught in the cross fire. How many boys you can have in a flock depends on the number of hens you have and the personalities of the boys. I currently have 3 mature roosters who don't fight, are very respectful of each other, and there is no problem. But they were choosen for their temperaments so that it's possible. They roost in the same coop, but each has their own spot, their own roost bar. I have 3 immature cockerels, a little younger than yours. If I keep one of them, one of the others will go. Too many roosters means beat up hens. Usually about 10 hens to one rooster is a good starting point, numbers can vary up or down depending on the birds themselves. If you have not decided who to keep, I would recommend separating the boys, give the girls a break from the stress, and as the boys mature you can decide which one is the true keeper. I don't keep nasty boys or boys who hurt the girls. Sometimes with observation you can tell which one the girls favor, and if he's not nasty to you then that might be the one to keep.

Your cockerels are showing normal behaviour for immature boys. This is really, really common in immature cockerels. Their hormones are surging and they are rude, pushy and rough and will overmate your hens. All hormones, no brains. As they mature they will calm down some. When they grow up in a flock that already has a dominant rooster (mature male over 1 year old) they often learn manners quicker. Some roosters will just not tolerate another male, some will. But always one will be dominant, the alpha, the others in the flock will be lower in the pecking order and will stay out of his way (or else), some can be very docile and act more like hens, trying to not get his attention. Some cockerels will challenge the alpha, and you will have fights and injuries. In those cases you should separate them unless you like dealing with, sometimes serious, injuries. And hens can get caught in the cross fire. How many boys you can have in a flock depends on the number of hens you have and the personalities of the boys. I currently have 3 mature roosters who don't fight, are very respectful of each other, and there is no problem. But they were choosen for their temperaments so that it's possible. They roost in the same coop, but each has their own spot, their own roost bar. I have 3 immature cockerels, a little younger than yours. If I keep one of them, one of the others will go. Too many roosters means beat up hens. Usually about 10 hens to one rooster is a good starting point, numbers can vary up or down depending on the birds themselves. If you have not decided who to keep, I would recommend separating the boys, give the girls a break from the stress, and as the boys mature you can decide which one is the true keeper. I don't keep nasty boys or boys who hurt the girls. Sometimes with observation you can tell which one the girls favor, and if he's not nasty to you then that might be the one to keep.

I don't have a separate place to keep the roosters at this time. I am building a second coop (4 x 8 feet ) but that is going to take some time. Just got the bottom and floor built. Working on the upper part next. I can only do this on weekends or holidays. Or I have it built already. If it was done, it is where I would put them. I could put rooster number 2 in a separate dog cage like rooster number 1, but it's not a permanent solution.

Most of what you pointed out is just youngster hormones and pecking order "problems". At this age young roosters don't really know what to do with all these girls and the sudden rise in hormones, so they usually over mate the hens. As for why rooster two didn't crow until you removed rooster one, and why rooster three still doesn't, is because rooster one was the most dominant, and pressured the other two enough that they put off mating and crowing, and now that you've removed rooster one, rooster two has taken his place, although it's normal that the hens are not yet completely ok with the change in rooster. If you were to remove rooster two as well, rooster three would be quick to take his space

Forgot to add in my previous post, another very important factor is space. Even one rooster can make a space too small. Even the hens need space to be able to get away when they want to. Putting in places they can hide, or get up on (without being cornered) can help. If you want more than one rooster then space needs to be considered. Crowding them is going to create conflict. Whether all girls or girls and boys, the more space the better, over crowding causes problems.

Back
Top Bottom