What to do with this rooster....

MamaB

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
One of my two roosters has to go. He has been pretty aggressive . He is one year old now and he has decided to try to take my other roosters hens. I have to lock him in the goat barn to keep the other rooster safe. I have had him on Craigslist for weeks with no response. I don't want to cull him just for the sake of eliminating a problem....I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions..even ones I might not want to hear are needed!

Half of hatchlings are roos and only 1 per 10 hens are needed. That math equals 9 for dinner for every 10 pullets hatched. That's just the way it is.
Also unruly roosters go that route here.
They taste just like chicken.

Is he human aggressive? If so then he needs a cook pot. Otherwise if he is just "bird aggressive" than get him his own girls and start another flock. He is only doing what is natural as there can only be one "king" I agree with chicken canoe that roos are a dime a dozen and most people have no need for them. If he is a meaty breed and is free then you may find someone who will take him for their freezer but that is about it.

Your other option is to let nature take its course. If he wins he is the stronger rooster and therefore would be the better choice from a natural selection point of view.

I would let nature take its course...but I like the other rooster more! Looks like he's heading for a soup pot. Having a hard time with the idea, though....I don't really eat meat and the idea of eating my pet...a baby I raised and cared for ....is new territory......ugh.

You don't have to eat him. You can bury him and use him for fertilizer....Or feed him to the dogs or cats (if you have them). I always say put him in a pot but it isn't the only option. I mean if it was any other dead pet you would just bury it. If that is what works for you do that :)

It is odd I know but my layers will never get eaten as they have given me enough but I also have meat birds who I have no problem eating.

As bird lady said, you don't have to eat him. The second best option is to compost him.
That would be a waste of good meat that you provided feed for all this time.

That's the reason mine don't get names.

I took a box of my chickens' names to a poultry demonstration at a suburb Sunday.
Their names are 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, etc., etc., etc..

All such good advice! Too bad there wasn't a magic wand to 'poof' away unwanted roosters (etc...
tongue.png
!) Now that would be easy! Thank you, thank you!

At our house we have that magic wand. It's called a hatchet.
smile.png
You are the only one who can decide what to do with your rooster. I don't name my birds, either, although I do have some favorites. It took me a long time to get to where I could butcher and eat the "pretty" chickens. The ugly white meat birds, however, were no problem. But, I have made the decision that extras will be eaten, and no matter how much I hate to do it, they do get processed. Once the head is lopped off, it's not so bad. Personally, I'd rather butcher and eat a bird I've raised over one from the grocery store any time. I'd also rather do it myself than put time, effort and feed into a chicken and then give it to someone else who will most likely do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom