What to do?

Summerbirds

Songster
Jan 27, 2018
Canada
Hi, what to do if our hen keeps escaping our yard? Today she went into our front yard and on to our neighbor's front yard and we found her beside our house, it is snowing here too and I thought that would keep her in. We are wondering how we can keep her in our fenced yard she has clipped wings but she can still fly very high. We have been thinking about putting a higher fence in but we don't know if that will keep her in,is there any other way to keep her in our yard? We have her in our coop right now locked in so she does not escape again. Is putting in a bigger fence the only way? Sorry if this is too long.

Are you positive you got all of the primary flight feathers cut? A picture would be helpful. What breed is she? Some are more air resistance than others according to their weight.

So she's molting so the tips are growing back. She could fly over the fence the day we cut them. IMG_20181120_160707.jpg
IMG_20181120_160707.jpg

So she's molting so the tips are growing back. She could fly over the fence the day we cut them.View attachment 1595446 View attachment 1595446
A lot seem to be uncut so I would clip the first few off and clip a little higher (closer to the wing) than you did according to the picture. How high is your fence I've been meaning to ask? Not that it is a factor, she shouldn't be flying at all if all the flight feathers are cut. Here is an article that should help.https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ings-of-your-chicken-to-prevent-flight.47727/

Yep, you missed a few.
wingclipping.gif

So she's molting so the tips are growing back.
The tips cut off a feather will not grow back...when a bird molts the entire(what's left of it after trimming) feather falls out and a new one grows in it's place. You'll ave to wait until the entire feather grows back to trim it again or you risk some serious blood loss.

Back
Top Bottom