What to do?

Fallen Leaf Farm

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
Three weeks ago the neighbor's dogs killed two of my hens, an old mama Orpington and a 4 month Americauna. I still had the mature rooster, two 4 month roosters and one 4 month pullet. I gave away the mature rooster and purchased 3 almost 4 month pullets. On the advise of the breeder, I put the young birds in together and all seemed well for about 24 hours. Then the older chicks pecked one of the new pullets to death so I separated them. Last night one of the two remaining new birds died. I don't know what to do with the remaining new bird - do I try to find her more buddies? I put her out free range with the older birds and the immediately went after her. So now she is locked back in the coop by herself. I have never had trouble integrating new birds and this has been terrible.

And my neighbors don't think they did anything wrong.....

Integration is best done by penning new birds where everyone can see them for a few weeks before doing supervised mingling. Integration can take weeks or even longer. You shouldn't rush it as you have unfortunately seen. I would keep it penned where everyone can get used to seeing it for a while before trying to release her again. If you see excessive pecking you should separate and try again the next day.

Three weeks ago the neighbor's dogs killed two of my hens, an old mama Orpington and a 4 month Americauna. I still had the mature rooster, two 4 month roosters and one 4 month pullet. I gave away the mature rooster and purchased 3 almost 4 month pullets. On the advise of the breeder, I put the young birds in together and all seemed well for about 24 hours. Then the older chicks pecked one of the new pullets to death so I separated them. Last night one of the two remaining new birds died. I don't know what to do with the remaining new bird - do I try to find her more buddies? I put her out free range with the older birds and the immediately went after her. So now she is locked back in the coop by herself. I have never had trouble integrating new birds and this has been terrible.

And my neighbors don't think they did anything wrong.....
You should get the neighbor to pay for your chickens!

2 four month old cockerels may very well be your new problem. Hopefully you reported the incident to animal control and took pictures of the killed birds. I can almost guarantee that the neighbor's dogs will be back.

Back
Top Bottom