What To Do???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hennyhandler, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have some chickens that have a bare spot above their tails and I figured it was the rooster. I tried to make saddles which didn't and work and then decided I at least could apply Blue Lotion to the area to help it maybe and prevent pecking. I don't think it is a kind of bug like lice or anything. But besides getting saddles which is what I'm working on what do I do?

Also, a week or so earlier my rooster had a bare spot on his bottom and it was red. I applied Blue Lotion and when I checked today it is still there. I thought maybe it was from when my rooster tries to mate the hens they sometimes turn around and chase him and peck at him.

ANY info on this would be great. Also, not all the hens have the bare spot.

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I have heard that pine tar works well for situations like this. Vicks works great too if you can apply a couple times a day!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Just put some strips of duct tape over it. Overlap them a bit, and make the ends long. It will fall off by itself and you can put some more on. I love duct tape!

4. saladin

saladin Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    The Blue Lotion was the best idea. The easiest solution is to move the cock out or get him more hens! saladin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by