What to do??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dodgegal79, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    House chickens eggs seem not to be good. They started to develop then then they died. I put some quail eggs under her incase they hatch so she has something to watch (she hates the older quail so she maybe in for a shock when those eggs hatch). My question is if nothing hatches, what do I do with her? She gets very mad if her nest is moved and looks for her eggs.

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. There are threads around here that talk about breaking a broody. (Though when i searched I had trouble coming up with an example.) I think in most cases a broody will give up on her own after awhile. There are rare cases when a broody will lay 'till death, so just monitor her.

Can anyone give better resources on how to break a broody?

3. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Dodgegal79

I may be wrong but this might be a good topic for Hatching, they might have more experience with hatching problems.

[​IMG]

4. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I have a BO that likes to go broody pretty often. What has worked for her is putting her in a cage with a wire bottom. I put some 2x4s under the cage to raise it up off the floor a bit. Put some food and water in there for her, let her out a couple of times a day to move around and poo. It usually takes her 2 - 3 days to come out of her broodiness.
    Good luck.
    Liz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by