What To Do ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 7L Farm, Feb 23, 2013.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I've got a flock of production chickens that are getting old. Its 10 hens. One of the hens can't get up on the roost & the girls want to kill her. I separated her. She still eats good but I can't keep her like this. Should I let her get her strength back & put her back with the flock or just put her down? I hate this part of raising birds but I know I have to do the best thing for the flock. I think they will kill her. They are just doing what they do. Getting rid of the weak.
    She, has done her job. She layed a ton of eggs & I will keep her but I can't keep her isolated she will have to live with her flock but seems like they want to kill her & I know they probably will.

2. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I'm so sorry you are having to make this decision. My oldest hens are almost 4 yrs old and I know this could happen to them at some point. I don't have an answer, but if it was me, I would probably try to put her back in with the flock after she recovers. But if they start attacking her again I would think putting her down would be less cruel then having them kill her. It sounds like you have given her a good life and she repaid you with lots of yummy eggs. [​IMG]

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Thanks, for the response. Your thoughts are like mine. I think I'm gonna feed her real good & let her get her strength back & return her to the flock. Keep a close eye on her & if it doesn't work I'll put her down. She lived a great life no doubt. She's just an old lady & the flock is just getting rid of the weak. I'm not gonna let the others kill her its not a pretty sight to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by