What to expect after Wazine de-worming?

stretchc1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
Connecticut
Hi All,

I've been reading about the Wazine-17 first round followed by a second round of ivermectin to get larvae and a broader spectrum of parasites (thanks, threehorses!). I'm going to dose all 5 of my 16-month old hens since they have never been wormed.

I have a very lethargic wyandotte who I began worrying about on Friday before Labor Day. By the time I figured out she probably had worms, the holiday weekend had kicked in and I couldn't get the wazine-17. I got it this morning and plan to put it in the hens' water at dawn tomorrow.

My question is: will my sick hen perk up from the wazine? How long should it take? If she doesn't perk up, I'll suppose that worms--or at least roundworms--aren't the problem. But how long should I give it?

Will the other hens--the ones who weren't droopy--be noticeably affected by the wazine? If so, how?

I understand that I should give the girls yogurt after the wazine--24 hours after? Should I also try to increase their protein or vitamin intake?

Anything else I should be on the look out for post-worming?

Thanks!

My guineas all once had roundworm really bad. I would find 2-3 dead guineas a day. I gave them roundworm, and within about 3 days, they were fine. The only thing is you cannot eat the eggs for 14 days. Chickens that do not have worms will be fine. I have never given them yogurt after Wazine, but Im sure it helps. Good Luck!

If they have worms, after using wazine I can assure you that you'll see a difference in less than 3 days. It's almost like they were given an energy pill! On the 3rd day, give them buttermilk or plain yogurt (probiotics) with boiled eggs or canned beef catfood (extra protein) all mixed in their feed and give that mixture to them for about 3 days to rebuild their immune system and get their strength back. If you use a 2nd wormer in about 2 weeks...same thing with probiotics and protein.

Dawg,
You mentioned seeing a difference from the Wazine in less than 3 days. I've been reading that I can only give the Wazine for 1 day. I did this. But, I'm just concerned that maybe all my hens didn't drink it, especially the sick one??? Can I give the Wazine for longer than 1 day?
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Dawg,
You mentioned seeing a difference from the Wazine in less than 3 days. I've been reading that I can only give the Wazine for 1 day. I did this. But, I'm just concerned that maybe all my hens didn't drink it, especially the sick one??? Can I give the Wazine for longer than 1 day?
Thanks for any advice you can give.

That's the problem with wormers and antibiotics that need to be mixed in water. You dont know if the birds drank the water, or enough of it to be effective. Sick birds wont drink neither.
I recommend that you purchase valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dose your standard size birds 1/2cc orally undiluted with either product. Then redose them again 10 days later.

That's the problem with wormers and antibiotics that need to be mixed in water. You dont know if the birds drank the water, or enough of it to be effective. Sick birds wont drink neither.
I recommend that you purchase valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dose your standard size birds 1/2cc orally undiluted with either product. Then redose them again 10 days later.

So, I checked with my local feed store, and of course, they don't carry either of these products. I did find the Safeguard on Amazon though. If I get it, how can I dose them orally? Is there a way to hold their beaks open?
Also, do you recommend this product over the Ivermectin pour-on? I was originally planning on using that 10 days from when I gave them the Wazine water. I'm not sure what kind of worms they have, so that makes it difficult to figure out which product to use. I noticed some worms in dried loose poop in the coop a few days ago, and gave them the Wazine water on Saturday. Two hens have ruffled feathers, and I'm not sure which ones have the runny poop. (I had given them Sulmet in their water for about 3 days until I noticed the worms.) I just started giving them garlic today.
Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it! :)

Pull the wattles down and the mouth will open. Then squirt the liquid in the mouth and immediately let go of the wattles so the bird can swallow the liquid on her own and not aspirate. Use a syringe without a needle to squirt the liquid in the chickens mouth.
Ivermectin pour on doesnt kill as many types of worms as does valbazen or safeguard.

Pull the wattles down and the mouth will open. Then squirt the liquid in the mouth and immediately let go of the wattles so the bird can swallow the liquid on her own and not aspirate. Use a syringe without a needle to squirt the liquid in the chickens mouth.
Ivermectin pour on doesnt kill as many types of worms as does valbazen or safeguard.

Thank you!

Dawg,
I administered 1/2 cc of Valbazen orally to all of my hens on Thursday. Today, they are all acting peppy, and the one hen that was really sick looks so much better. I am so grateful for your suggestion! I plan to dose them again after 10 days. Will that be sufficient? Or should I also do a third dose ten days after the second dose?
Also, as a regular de-worming practice, do you recommend the Valbazen every 6 months or so?
Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom