What to expect after Wazine de-worming?

Dawg,
I administered 1/2 cc of Valbazen orally to all of my hens on Thursday. Today, they are all acting peppy, and the one hen that was really sick looks so much better. I am so grateful for your suggestion! I plan to dose them again after 10 days. Will that be sufficient? Or should I also do a third dose ten days after the second dose?
Also, as a regular de-worming practice, do you recommend the Valbazen every 6 months or so?
Thanks again! :)

Redose them in 10 days, that's all that's needed. How often you worm them is up to you. Your soil conditions dictate how often you should worm. If you live where your soil is warm/moist most of the year, or rains alot...consider worming twice, maybe 3 times a year. Here where I live, I've wormed my birds every 3 months sometimes sooner. Cool/mountainous or desertlike soil may only require once a year or longer wormings. The bottom line is that if their feet touch the ground, they'll get worms eventually.

Dawg,
In the 10 days between Valbazen doses, my sick hen (that initially showed improvement) progressively started acting symptomatic again. I just gave the second dose last night, and this morning she's lethargic with ruffled feathers, her comb is starting to droop, and her wattles and comb have a blue tinge. Any suggestions?

Dawg,
In the 10 days between Valbazen doses, my sick hen (that initially showed improvement) progressively started acting symptomatic again. I just gave the second dose last night, and this morning she's lethargic with ruffled feathers, her comb is starting to droop, and her wattles and comb have a blue tinge. Any suggestions?
Can you bring her inside and give her access to a heat source, food and water?

Can you bring her inside and give her access to a heat source, food and water?

She is under a heat lamp and has access to food and water, but she is worse today. I'd be surprised if she makes it another day. I guess maybe she was too infested with the worms for the Valbazen to work? I'm still confused though why she initially showed improvement after the first dose?
None of the other hens are symptomatic, but I am concerned for them ...

Oh,Flock Master would you help me? I have spent days reading and can't seem to know what I am doing. I have one very sick hen with Poppy butt and is very slow and sleepy and breathing with beak open...I have her in my garage and keep checking her... I used the chick water antibiotic to get thru the weekend...
I just bought at my feed store,
WAZINE 17, Safe-guard- Equine Dewormer 25 gram paste 10% AND I bought IVERMECTIN paste 1.87 for horses...
And I bought DE powder...
Now what and how to use???????
idunno.gif

Did your chicken live Mary Dee? My hen is very sick too? I have now bought all the suggested de-wormers but unsure how to use the stuff????

No, unfortunately, she didn't make it. I guess she was too far gone, or maybe had something else wrong with her. I used Valbazen and followed dawg53's directions. Luckily, that saved the rest of my hens. I would just choose one of the products that you purchased, I think it would do more harm than good if you used all of them. dawg53 recommends the Valbazen OR the Safeguard if I remember correctly. His advice is great. If you try sending him a personal message, he was kind enough to reply to my questions. :)
I hope your chicken gets better ... good luck!

Did your chicken live Mary Dee? My hen is very sick too? I have now bought all the suggested de-wormers but unsure how to use the stuff????

Your hen needs to be in a warm place, like your house, with access to a heat source that she can get away from. Weigh her on a kitchen scale, let me know her weight and I'll tell you how much Safeguard to give her. You should also dust her with poultry dust, DE doesn't work.

Last edited:
No, unfortunately, she didn't make it. I guess she was too far gone, or maybe had something else wrong with her. I used Valbazen and followed dawg53's directions. Luckily, that saved the rest of my hens. I would just choose one of the products that you purchased, I think it would do more harm than good if you used all of them. dawg53 recommends the Valbazen OR the Safeguard if I remember correctly. His advice is great. If you try sending him a personal message, he was kind enough to reply to my questions. :)
I hope your chicken gets better ... good luck!

I'm sorry you lost her.

Back
Top Bottom