What to expect from hatching turkeys

robbdebbie

Professional Chicken Bather
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Madisonville, LA
My turkeys are due to hatch between Sun and Mon. Do they have a thick membrane? Do they hatch fast or slow? How many days should I hold out for? Do they like high or low humidity? I am using the egg carton method since I have lost so many to getting kicked around.

Thanks

My turkeys hatched quickly for the most part except for one very large one. It needed help out of the shell (the proper way) and so I worked with it for a couple of hours.
Mine were very strong and vigorous from hatch. I only hatched 4 out of 16 tho, which is about right for shipped eggs. You've got 24!?
ep.gif

They are just too cute! good luck!

Last edited:
The humdity should be about 70%, I think, for a good hatch. Normally the poults should be able to get themselves out of the egg without any help. My rule of thumb is to watch for pips. I give the baby 12 hours uninterrupted to hatch. Then I pray A LOT!! I'll help if need be.

But if your temperature and humidity have been right, there shouldn't be a problem.

Let us know how it goes.

High humidity is good.
The egg carton thing sounds smart as I think all the rambunctiousness of the early hatchers may hurt the chances of the late hatchers with getting kicked around in the shell and all.
My hatches spread out over two days.

i run my humidity at 70-80% for turkeys, and i mist lightlywith warm water my eggs as they hatch - it seems to help the membranes not stick so much. also, i give them the whole bottom hatching tray lined with shelf liner in my sportsman to bang around in as they come out kicking and peeping.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom