What to expect in the next few weeks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dixiedoodle, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Ok, I have month old babies. I am amazed at how well they are doing. They already have a few real feathers, eating like crazy. scratching and pecking thru their shavings and they are very alert.. Today, I added a cup of sand to their shavings.. But I am at a loss of what to do, in the near future, for them.. I have read, I can add a few treats. Can they be let out to ramble- w/ supervision? How long should I feed them Medicated crumbles? What do I need to keep them cool? Temps in the very high 90's to 103*. They have plenty of room, screened room, under giant shade trees, off the ground. Today, I placed several frozen water bottles in their little room. Thanks for any and all ideas..dixie

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Congrats on your babies!
    I wouldn't hesitate to let them out to play as long as you are with them.
    They will need to be on Chick Start until they are about 8 weeks old-then you can put them on grower feed until they start to lay(then feed layer pellets/crumbles).
    Maybe put a little fan on them if you can to help them stay cool and make sure their water is nice and cool(the frozen bottles are good, too).
    Don't worry-you'll do fine with them.
    Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by