What to expect when a pullet lays her first egg?

maggieandotis

Chirping
Apr 30, 2020
San Diego, CA
Hi,

Yesterday and the day before two of my pullets laid their first egg. Hooray! Today there was no egg. Once a hen lays her first egg, how long does it typically take before she produces on a regular schedule? All I can find on the internet is hold the hen is when they will start laying no matter how I type in the search.

Also, I can't switch to layer feed because I have a cockerel with my girls. I put out a small bowl of oyster shells this morning. Do I give them as much as they want or do I ration it for them?

Such a fun time in our household!

Thanks!!

DontChickenOut14

Songster
Mar 29, 2020
Winston-Salem NC
Hi,

Yesterday and the day before two of my pullets laid their first egg. Hooray! Today there was no egg. Once a hen lays her first egg, how long does it typically take before she produces on a regular schedule? All I can find on the internet is hold the hen is when they will start laying no matter how I type in the search.

Also, I can't switch to layer feed because I have a cockerel with my girls. I put out a small bowl of oyster shells this morning. Do I give them as much as they want or do I ration it for them?

Thanks!!
My hens usually laid an egg every other day until they finally started laying daily.

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
Hi,

Thanks!!
Each bird will lay at her own production level. Generally speaking, the higher the production rate the shorter the lifespan of the bird. Cranking eggs out daily takes it's toll.

As for your boy, keep your flock on Flock Raiser, All Flock or even starter with the oyster shell on the side. I put out more than one container and put them in high traffic zones to make sure they are always picking at it. Give it free choice. Don't ration. Keep them full. Feeding layer feed to birds that do not require the extra calcium for shell production will eventually cause kidney failure.

maggieandotis

Chirping
Apr 30, 2020
San Diego, CA
Each bird will lay at her own production level. Generally speaking, the higher the production rate the shorter the lifespan of the bird. Cranking eggs out daily takes it's toll.

As for your boy, keep your flock on Flock Raiser, All Flock or even starter with the oyster shell on the side. I put out more than one container and put them in high traffic zones to make sure they are always picking at it. Give it free choice. Don't ration. Keep them full. Feeding layer feed to birds that do not require the extra calcium for shell production will eventually cause kidney failure.
Thank you! I realized that it is the same hen that has laid all of the eggs so far. I thought it was two different hens because my gal's first egg was a double yolk and had a much lighter shell than her other single yolk eggs. The shell on the double yolk egg was much lighter than the single yolk eggs so I thought it was two different hens.

I have lots of oyster shells left out for them! Thank you!

Top Bottom