What to expect when expecting order from hatchery......

UPDATE.....
Unfortunately this was not a complete success. I am so sad to say that when the box arrived at PO there were only 5 chicks (out of 20) standing and chirping. The rest were all clumped together in cold pile.

Facts: Shipping only took 24 hours. PO called as soon as they arrived (I checked the scan time) and I was there in 10 minutes to get them. The box they came in is not labeled "live chickens" anywhere. (this seems like a no brainer to me) The box was approximately 18x18 inches and had one 4x6 "warm pad" under the matting the chicks were on. The pad itself was slightly warm to the touch. Why wouldn't they cover the whole bottom of the box with warm pads?

I immediately placed the box with all of the chicks in it in the brooder under the light. I began removing the live chicks one by one, touching their beaks to the water (which had electrolytes and was tepid to touch) and placing them under the heat lamp. Then I began lifting the others one by one to see if there was any movement or if I could detect breathing at all. Most of them were completely stiff and as I said, very cold. I found two that were trying to move their beaks slightly so I began alternating lifting them closer to the heat and then touching their beaks to water. I did this for around two hours and they consistently began moving their bodies and trying to stand up. They couldn't and they kept flipping over on their backs. After about three hours they would really struggle and fight me when I picked them up to get them to drink so I began holding them and letting them struggle. They seemed to get stronger by doing this and they began walking around somewhat drunkenly but by last night when I went to bed they were both walking around chirping, but I knew it was still tentative. This morning one of them was gone. The other is still holding on.

Of the five original live ones, one seems a little lethargic and doesn't seem to drink very often and I haven't personally seen it eat at all.

I called Meyer's and they said they would extend the 48 hour rule to see if I lost any more, then they would either reimburse me or send me more chicks.

I will not order again. This was no fun and I feel like a murderer of babies. :(

Sorry this had a sad ending. I will be looking around where I live for either chicks, POL, or eggs to incubate.

Thanks for listening.
CJ

One thing I noticed about some other hatcheries.....they begin shipping in Feb. so maybe that is a more acceptable time? I really believe that if they had put more heat pads in the box they may have had a chance. The heat pad they included was directly under the 5 that made it. The lady at Meyer's said that sometimes the chicks get left out on the loading dock because someone there does not want to hear the "noise" of the birds. This "noise" we here at my home call "song".
CJ

UPDATE.....
Unfortunately this was not a complete success. I am so sad to say that when the box arrived at PO there were only 5 chicks (out of 20) standing and chirping. The rest were all clumped together in cold pile.

Facts: Shipping only took 24 hours. PO called as soon as they arrived (I checked the scan time) and I was there in 10 minutes to get them. The box they came in is not labeled "live chickens" anywhere. (this seems like a no brainer to me) The box was approximately 18x18 inches and had one 4x6 "warm pad" under the matting the chicks were on. The pad itself was slightly warm to the touch. Why wouldn't they cover the whole bottom of the box with warm pads?

I immediately placed the box with all of the chicks in it in the brooder under the light. I began removing the live chicks one by one, touching their beaks to the water (which had electrolytes and was tepid to touch) and placing them under the heat lamp. Then I began lifting the others one by one to see if there was any movement or if I could detect breathing at all. Most of them were completely stiff and as I said, very cold. I found two that were trying to move their beaks slightly so I began alternating lifting them closer to the heat and then touching their beaks to water. I did this for around two hours and they consistently began moving their bodies and trying to stand up. They couldn't and they kept flipping over on their backs. After about three hours they would really struggle and fight me when I picked them up to get them to drink so I began holding them and letting them struggle. They seemed to get stronger by doing this and they began walking around somewhat drunkenly but by last night when I went to bed they were both walking around chirping, but I knew it was still tentative. This morning one of them was gone. The other is still holding on.

Of the five original live ones, one seems a little lethargic and doesn't seem to drink very often and I haven't personally seen it eat at all.

I called Meyer's and they said they would extend the 48 hour rule to see if I lost any more, then they would either reimburse me or send me more chicks.

I will not order again. This was no fun and I feel like a murderer of babies. :(

Sorry this had a sad ending. I will be looking around where I live for either chicks, POL, or eggs to incubate.

Thanks for listening.
CJ
Do you have a "Rural King" in your area. They currently have live chicks. Tractor Supply won't have any until spring.

So sorry for your loss. We had a similar experience last year. I wasnt sure I could do it again, but I waited a month and a half fot the weather to warm up and our next batch was 100% ok. Plus my USPS people enjoy the chicks when I order. They put thembin the cab of the truck when they drive them down from Rochester (1 1/2 hourd away).

If you change your mind, I would order in warmer weather.

Again I'm so sorry for your loss!

Update.... I spoke with Meyer's today to let them know I had 6 out of 20 chicks ordered and to initiate a refund. I gave them details on the box being unlabeled and only having one heat pad. Their response (excuse) was they had "seasonal" help who maybe don't know the proper thing to do, they are revamping the boxes to be labeled "live birds", and they take the feedback from people like me and use it to make changes for the better. So I told him my feedback would start with the owners of the company caring enough about the chicks themselves to make sure they have a process throughout the year that works to give them the best possible chance. I kind of doubt they will get that message. Although I will not order from Meyer's again, the customer service was good, they made it easy to get a refund. I am guessing this is because they are used to it.
CJ

Back
Top Bottom