What to expect when I turn them loose

lablover

Songster
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
I have about 9 chicks that range between 5 and 8 weeks. They've been living in the coop on their own 24/7 (with a light in their box to guide them to bed) for about a week and half now. Is it too soon to let them out of the coop and be "big chickens?" I would be so scared that I wouldn't be able to get them back in.

I tried it. I took them out in the dog crate and opened the door...it took over an hour for them to even leave the crate and then didn't go to far from it.

I also put them in the coop and opened the door, they ran around the coop and played a little but then got scared and wouldn't leave.

Best thing you can do is open the door and sit with them and see what happens, once they know it's their safety zone and where food and water is, they usually don't go far

I love the first day or so they are let out - my newest ones were such babies, they would pop out and race back in and then gradually build up courage - its so much fun to watch! They were a bit wussy so its taken them ages to work their way over to my back garden - about 20 meters or so and if anything worries them they race back with their wings in the air - my older girls think its all a bit much and just look at them!

I'm just worried that if I turn out all 9, they will go off on their own. So if a week and half of living in the coop long enough for them to know where home is? Last night was the first time I didn't turn their light on, and they all went up to the roost to sleep.

Since they were little I put them in the dog crate to clean the cage, so they knew it, they also are a flock, so if one won't go the others won't either. Believe me they are as scared as you are. I put a bedsheet on the ground and let them wander around me, first strange noise they were on my lap..they will be fine, try it

also on my coop I opened the door and they didn't go anywhere either, they really wanted to stay in the coop.

The thing with mine is that when I open the door, they will be 100% free of the coop and run. So I put a strip of fencing around the door to contain them and opened the door. They all shot out and started flapping! They did hang around me a bit, but I'm still worried to set them completely free. This was at feeding time, so luckily they were willing to go back in.

All my chickens are completely free, no fences, and they go all of 90 feet from the barn...big brave chickens finding the nearest bush to sack out under. I wouldn't worry about them going too far unless something scares them. Just make sure they can get to shelter quickly if a hawk flies over.

I just put mine out in the portable run that we plan to use over our raised beds so the hens can forage and weed between crops. They love being outside but I too am worried about letting them roam free. They do stick together and all but one let me pick them up...it's good to know that I am not the only worried chicken mom.

Mine are all totally free too - I feed them breakfast as soon as I open the door to let them out and then they potter about - generally they follow me back to the back garden looking for extra snacks (they get them). All five hang out together and come when called.
They will be fine if you let them out - I love the wing flapping, ballerina toe running they do when babies, its very cute!
At dusk they are usually hanging around their house so they get a bedtime snack and put themselves to bed. They are nosy so know when I am feeding Narnia and like to be involved...

Back
Top Bottom