1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to expect????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by enggass, Oct 12, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Ok, so I got my first egg Saturday - not sure from which of my 6 birds. Was on the run floor/ground. Smallish, perfect egg.
    No eggs since. Is this normal?
    Steve

2. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I would have to say yes, it's normal. some times it takes a while for the egg factory to start rolling. also some breeds are good layers and some aren't. I have 6 out of 21 that have started laying and only one didn't take a break after laying the first egg. Some lay pretty much every day with a missed day once in a while and others may lay for a few days and take a few days off. I have one that layed 3 eggs in 4 days and hasn't laid another one going on 8 days now. I keep a chart of who lays when. after they get going you can see a pattern.

3. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    How do you manage to keep track of who lays what when? Short of constant observation?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by