1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to feed 16wk old pullets not laying yet???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MonicainAZ, Dec 18, 2015.

1. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a conundrum. I have only 3 chickens, so they don't eat a lot, and of course feed comes in 40-50 lb bags. They are black australorps, and so far they aren't showing any signs of laying any time soon and have small combs. What type of food should I buy to feed them for the next 2-3 months?? Should I buy layer feed, or just buy grower feed and give them extra calcium when they get close to laying?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    The latter - I opt to use that feed program at all times anyway. I like the higher protein content of grower ration as compared to most layer rations and I appreciate never having to worry about who does/doesn't have use for the higher calcium content of a layer feed since only those birds who "need" the calcium take it in when offered separately.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

4. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks a lot!

5. Macis Papa

Macis Papa Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2015
    Central Iowa
    I switch mine to all flock around 16 to 18 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by