What to feed 16wk old pullets not laying yet???

MonicainAZ

Chirping
May 21, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I have a conundrum. I have only 3 chickens, so they don't eat a lot, and of course feed comes in 40-50 lb bags. They are black australorps, and so far they aren't showing any signs of laying any time soon and have small combs. What type of food should I buy to feed them for the next 2-3 months?? Should I buy layer feed, or just buy grower feed and give them extra calcium when they get close to laying?

I have a conundrum. I have only 3 chickens, so they don't eat a lot, and of course feed comes in 40-50 lb bags. They are black australorps, and so far they aren't showing any signs of laying any time soon and have small combs. What type of food should I buy to feed them for the next 2-3 months?? Should I buy layer feed, or just buy grower feed and give them extra calcium when they get close to laying?

The latter - I opt to use that feed program at all times anyway. I like the higher protein content of grower ration as compared to most layer rations and I appreciate never having to worry about who does/doesn't have use for the higher calcium content of a layer feed since only those birds who "need" the calcium take it in when offered separately.

The latter - I opt to use that feed program at all times anyway. I like the higher protein content of grower ration as compared to most layer rations and I appreciate never having to worry about who does/doesn't have use for the higher calcium content of a layer feed since only those birds who "need" the calcium take it in when offered separately.

Back
Top Bottom