1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to feed a rooster and hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crazy4daisy, Jul 5, 2007.

1. crazy4daisy

crazy4daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    Okay, I have 4 pullets and 1 rooster. Do I feed them breeder feed, or do I feed layer to them all? Will the layer feed hurt the rooster?

2. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    I feed layer to them all. It won't hurt the rooster. Its just a little more expensive since he won't produce eggs. If he's in a pen by himself, you can just feed him scratch feed or corn with some laying mash mixed in for protein.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Another alternative is to feed them all a general purpose poultry feed, like Purina Flock Raiser Crumble or Southern States Rooster Booster pellets and add oyster shell free choice in a separate feeder for hens of laying age. That way, there is no excess calcium for the rooster, who really won't give the oyster shell a second glance. I've started doing that since for awhile now, I've had a flock of mixed ages. When I have hens all of laying age, I usually mix the Rooster Booster with layer pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by