What to feed chickens during Pesach (Passover)

Corn, Soybean Meal, Roasted Soybeans, Oats, Wheat, Barley, Milo, Peas, Lentils, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Middlings, Alfalfa Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Oyster Shells, Grit, Dried Whey, Dried Mealworms, Cane Molasses, and about a gazillion supplements...

https://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/sites/default/files/specs/T1117.pdf
Owning or deriving benefit from the five grains (wheat, oats, spelt, barley, rye,) even whole, is problematic, as yeast fermentation may have begun already. (It must be kept super dry from the moment it was harvested.)
Wondering what observant chicken keepers are doing this year-grubs certainly make putting together a diet with the right amount of protein easier. For me the idea of buying giant bags of corn, peas, fish meal I don't need seems wasteful. I might give chicks lots of leftovers and even some of the food we feed our dogs .
I do corn, sunflower seeds, oyster shell, fish-market waste, and table scraps. I also use deep mulch, and they get bugs out of there.
Wine is bought kosher le pesach because it is par-boiled to avoid any wild yeast.
Matza tends to be too dry and I'd be concerned with constipation for anyone (both animals and people),
Only yeast grown on grain, or grain products, is a problem. Wild yeast from the air etc. is fine.
Not a huge risk of constipation if eaten with plenty fruits, veggies, and liquids. About the amount you'd want to balance out the carbs anyway, depending on your eating habits.

Last edited:
I find this interesting and I had no idea.

Could you deprive yourself of the benefit by just giving your eggs away for the 8 days?

I had to look up how long Passover lasted, btw.
Even if one avoids the issue of owning grain on Passover, feeding any animal under one's care is still considered benefit, as it keeps one from needing to buy more of whatever else they eat.

I don't see how it is to your benefit if you are giving all the benefit away. What do you mean by "as it keeps one from needing to buy more of whatever else they eat"? Are you talking about the owner or the animal?

My chicken feeders only need to be topped off every 7 weeks. So it is easy enough for someone to not handle/actively feed the birds for that period.

What about pets that don't provide material benefit, just companionship? Do you have to adjust your dog's food?

I don't see how it is to your benefit if you are giving all the benefit away. What do you mean by "as it keeps one from needing to buy more of whatever else they eat"? Are you talking about the owner or the animal?

My chicken feeders only need to be topped off every 7 weeks. So it is easy enough for someone to not handle/actively feed the birds for that period.

What about pets that don't provide material benefit, just companionship? Do you have to adjust your dog's food?
That's what I meant by any animal. Dogs, cats, whatever. As long as a I own the animal and need to feed it, it may not be fed grain products, even by someone else, because it monetarily benefits the me to not have to feed my animal as much.

I forgot to mention acorns. I gathered a fairly large number of them in the fall and forgot them in the fridge. They look like they've even been sprouting. They should be a good source of nutrients as well.

Last edited:
Question ❓
Something just hit me are wine and beer allowed? Aren't they made with yeast? I would feed back their eggs, some meat and veggies.
Do they eat matzahs crackers?
Glad someone else answered the wine/beer thing. We will be giving eggs and all our table scraps. Our family personally is pretty traditional in that we do not eat many processed foods on passover and peel everything, so there will be lots of peels. We are also Ashkenazi, so we don't eat peas, corn, chickpeas, rice, green beans, any legumes, pnuts-but our animals can (don't ask, a lot of this is family tradition!)

So for anyone interested, my chicks will be eating a mix of cracked corn, grubs, Milo, teff, alfalfa pellets formulated to be about 19% protein, and snacks of hardboiled eggs, fruits, table scraps, and whatever they forage-and some field pea microgreens I've been growing and will give them access to. They are 6-9weeks old, so growers. It's 8 days, so they'll survive.

Here we are again... pesach 5783 is a mere month away!!

What can we give:

Quail - newly hatched as well as fully grown

Ducks

==>I need to feed everyone a DRY feed so I can prepare it in the hoppers and they'll survive the week I'm away.

What can I get easily, keep it simple not too many ingredients, perhaps not ideal but they'll survive...

Can I just make a mix of corn meal, soybean meal and buckwheat? Will ducks as well as quail of different ages even eat it? And will they survive?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom