What to feed chickens in HOT weather

Chocdish

Chirping
Jun 9, 2023
We live in deep east Texas and it is barely summer and already reaching triple digits!!!
We have started wetting the ground the coop and are going to start putting frozen water bottles in their water to keep it cool but we were wondering what else could help to keep them cool??

We make our hens "popsicles" to peck at when it's hot! Freeze stuff like canned corn (unsalted), sunflower seeds, etc., then give it to them in a bowl. Good enrichment + it encourages them to drink water as it melts!

Lots of Shade, lots of fresh water (cool if possible), places where they can dust bath in the shade (earth is the worl'ds biggest heat sink, can be a couple degrees cooler, just a few inches down).

Plenty of our members float ice blocks in their waterers, frozen watermelon (mentioned above) is very popular, same with cold cucumber (or frozen), frozen corn - of the three, frozen watermelon or cucumbers are generally better than frozen corn. I'f even seen frozen grapes suggested.

[Frozen blueberries a bit beyond what I'm willing to invest in my birds, but yes, same concept]

We left Austin area few years back, remember the summer with 100+ days in a row of triple digits. Its hard on all living things - I hate to say it, but selecting for heat tolerant breeds has GOT to be part of long term plans. Also, plenty of ventilation. Part of why open air coop designs are so popular there.

It's 102F here and still morning.

Someone on byc suggested ice-water with some chia seeds thrown in (and/or frozen fruit). As they try to get the seeds, their waddles get cooled down.

Attachments

• chickens ice water with chia seeds.jpg
    chickens ice water with chia seeds.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom