What to feed chicks now?

Sfowler

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2020
So my chicks are 20 weeks old today. I have 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 California Greys, and 1 Wyandotte. They have been eating chick feed. What now? And any certain way to introduce new food?

So my chicks are 20 weeks old today. I have 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 California Greys, and 1 Wyandotte. They have been eating chick feed. What now? And any certain way to introduce new food?
Why change? I'd keep them on starter or give them Flock Raiser or All Flock or something with a protein content around 18-20% and just put out containers of oyster shell. That way they have a complete feed with a good protein content and can supplement themselves with the OS for the additional calcium they need when producing eggs but can stop eating it when they molt. And if you ever get a rooster or new chicks, you don't need to try to isolate them to keep them away from layer feed which would contain too much calcium.

Last edited:
We use an all-flock feed, Purina's Flock Raiser, with oyster shell in a separate feeder, for our flock, all ages, sexes, and either laying or not. It works for everyone, so it's easy.
You can do the same sort of thing, or if your birds are all pullets, you could move to a layer feed when they are all actually laying eggs, still with oyster shell in another dish.
Pick a feed that's fresh, by mill date, at your feed stores.
Mary

Why change? I'd keep them on starter or give them Flock Raiser or All Flock or something with a protein content around 18-20% and just put out containers of oyster shell. That way they have a complete feed with a good protein content and can supplement themselves with the OS for the additional calcium they need when producing eggs but can stop eating it when they molt. And if you ever get a rooster or new chicks, you don't need to try to isolate them to keep them away from layer feed which would contain too much calcium.

Also using All Flock, free choice oyster shell. When I can't get All Flock, I'll use Feather Fixer in a pinch. Given my mix of birds (see sig), I can't use a layer feed or I risk problems of too much calcium for some of the birds. I did find mixing the starter with the all flock helped my littles transition, food wise as they went from crumble to pellet.

Back
Top Bottom