What to feed for a day

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
We are completely out of chicken food, our friends with chickens all have family over, and all of the stores that sell feed are closed. They need to eat something. What should I feed them from today to tomorrow? (I am NOT having the best day so please don't tell me that this could have been prevented, I am VERY AWARE OF THAT AND HAVE LEARNED MY DAMN LESSON, I just need help with this)

They will be ok, sometimes this happens. I would make them a combo of veggies and canned tuna if you have any, maybe a touch of rice to balance it out (but not a lot - thy will favor the rice). just don’t overdo it with anything carby like tons of bread or corn. Chickens are hardy - they will be fine for 24 hours without food - as long as they have fresh water. If they free range, even better

They will be ok, sometimes this happens. I would make them a combo of veggies
Veggies like greens?
and canned tuna if you have any,
I don't think that we have any but we might
maybe a touch of rice to balance it out (but not a lot - thy will favor the rice). just don’t overdo it with anything carby like tons of bread or corn.
👍
Chickens are hardy - they will be fine for 24 hours without food - as long as they have fresh water. If they free range, even better
They do have fresh water and they got free range time earlier but don't free range full time

They will be ok, sometimes this happens. I would make them a combo of veggies and canned tuna if you have any, maybe a touch of rice to balance it out (but not a lot - thy will favor the rice). just don’t overdo it with anything carby like tons of bread or corn. Chickens are hardy - they will be fine for 24 hours without food - as long as they have fresh water. If they free range, even better
Love the tuna idea! Uncooked (or cooked) oatmeal, grains from cupboard and veggies in fridge, too. And/or grab a shovel and turn over the dirt for some tasty worms, delicious!
Don’t beat yourself up; Happy Easter!

We are completely out of chicken food, our friends with chickens all have family over, and all of the stores that sell feed are closed. They need to eat something. What should I feed them from today to tomorrow? (I am NOT having the best day so please don't tell me that this could have been prevented, I am VERY AWARE OF THAT AND HAVE LEARNED MY DAMN LESSON, I just need help with this)
Walmart has chicken food, I don't know if it's in all their stores or if going out is an option for you. Or, canned corn, or other canned veggies with the fluid flushed off. Frozen veggies. Canned tuna. I know an experienced chicken person who treats her birds to people food, like chicken alfredo. I know a lady who routinely fed her geese, cat food. So if you have any convenience people food, or even some cooked canned chicken, canned meat, that'd round out the meal. Or some bread. I don't know about nuts so I'd avoid that though.

Back
Top Bottom