What to feed for tasty eggs?

My understanding is that it is the variety in the girls' diet that creates healthy birds and good eggs.

Our birds free range about half time, and during the time they spend in their run, they get our (healthy) table scraps, including meat and fish. They also get handfuls of BOSS and/or scratch tossed high and wide, just for something to amuse them and scratch for. They have pellets available free choice at all times.

They haven't started laying yet, but everyone remarks on how clean, shiny and healthy they look (and we think they're beautiful, too!) so the food variety must be doing some good!

It has always been my experience that the tastiest eggs come from chickens that are able to forage as a supplement to a diet of good quality laying mash/pellets.

We also make a habit of giving the chickens table scraps, which they seem to love.

My chickens free range beside their 24/7 grain and all scraps from the house here. In the winter I add cracked corn for warmth and some occasional scratch.

Just now I threw them 3/4 of a pumpkin custard pie that we never ate and I cooked it last Saturday. You want to see chickens go ballistic?
lol.png

Thanks for all the ideas. I figured berries would make for tasty eggs but I don't generally have any leftover. Do have plenty of dandelions and bugs though.

Back
Top Bottom