What to Feed Hens and Roosters?

Does he have access to good grit?
That may be why he's eating the oyster shell?
Not sure.

Our flock free ranges almost every day from daylight till dark. Our Rooster has every opportunity to find grit or eat what I provide. He still eats oyster shell. After reading the OP and responses I will be changing my food as well. Thanks everyone for all the good info!

Don't know if this thread is too old, but I'm want to buy Scratch and Peck organic feed from amazon. I have an old rooster and some young hens and I need a feed that will do for all. They only make starter, layer and grower. Company says the grower is fine as an all flock feed, but I am skeptical. Any advice out there? Of course they have grit and oyster shells always.

Hi some one told me names of the chicken food are just names is that true? Liks why is chicken food called layer food if it dont help lay more eggs? Person told me layer feed is ok for roosters thats what she feeds her iam so confuse back then I use to feed all mine just scratch feed. I just read too much calsum is bad for roosters kidneys so whats good to feed roosters and hens in.same.barn?

Hi some one told me names of the chicken food are just names is that true? Liks why is chicken food called layer food if it dont help lay more eggs? Person told me layer feed is ok for roosters thats what she feeds her iam so confuse back then I use to feed all mine just scratch feed. I just read too much calsum is bad for roosters kidneys so whats good to feed roosters and hens in.same.barn?
Ok you can't feed a rooster or any non-egg laying hen in a flock Layer Feed as it will cause them problems the best answer to this is to buy feed labeled "All Flock Feed, or Flock Raiser" this feed can be fed to everyone and won't cause anyone issues. You will need to either off your egg laying hens back their own empty crushed egg shells (baked) and a bowl of oyster shell. Your egg laying hens will instantly eat the oyster shell to keep up their calcium levels as needed to produce eggs.

You can't feed "just" scratch as that would be like you just eating cake for every meal. Scratch is just chicken junk food. If you have more questions please feel free to PM and I will be happy to talk to you one on one about this.

Thanks and is layer feed just a name if it is then why dose it say it will help lay more.eggs? And they told me light.helps them lay more not food the names are just the brand names

That's from a year ago......You could probably find a recall for darn near every pet food out there.

I've been using Purina for 20 years and never had an animal get sick or die.
considering Purina is made in China we can only wonder what goes into to. Probably political dissenters who get disappeared find their way to the Purina factory.

Back
Top Bottom