What to feed hens to make there eggs stronger

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by redneck farmer, Feb 5, 2013.

1. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

So I hearing lots of talk about feeding hens Chrushed oysters,egg shells or other stuff... Why? Won't Chrushed oysters be bad for them? Or egg shells?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Oyster shells are a great source of calcium for chickens - I always have it out as free choice and they seem to only eat what they need. It creates nice hard shells. Won't hurt them at all.

3. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    God created hens with a ability to process calcium. Oyster shells will be digested and there is a calcium factory inside each hen to make egg shells.

4. redneck farmer

How fine should I crush them?
    An river oysters or sea oysters?
    Does it matter?

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Just go to you feed mill or feed store where you get there feed at and tell them you need a bag of Oyster Shells.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  6. AVintageLife

AVintageLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Mine get oyster shells, egg shells (washed first, then baked and crushed up), and cottage cheese a few times a week.

7. redneck farmer

Ok thanks!

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I sprinkle oyster shell lightly on top the chickens and waterfowl's food. Some mornings I mixed powered milk into their food, for extra calcium. You can also save your egg shells, from your girls, bake them, crunch them up and feed back to them. : )

~ Aspen

9. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I feed mine layer pellets right now, and I also give them back all their own egg shells. I am going to switch to flock raiser when we run out of layer pellets and then I will provide the oyster shells on the side. Hopefully that works for me as well as it seems to work for everyone else. Right now I have a feeder of starter/grower crumbles, and then another bigger feeder with the pellets, but all the chickens seem to prefer the grower crumbles...so I have yet a third feeder full of egg shells. All the chickens look better and their eggs have gotten slightly larger with the added protein of the grower, that's why I want to make the switch.

10. redneck farmer

Thanks for te advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by